Insole, wedges etc

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I have front knee ache, and its totally random. Sometimes its the right foot, then the left, or its the right hand side, or left or centre. Its very weird.

What I dont understand is, without going to a fitter can I work out if I need wedges, insoles etc?

thanks

Comments

• JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    What type of pedals and shoes do you use?
    What is your approximate pedaling rpm? are you a 'spinner' or a 'masher'?

You might also try walking on a very flat and smooth surface to do a DIY 'gait analysis' - for example walk in a large indoor shopping area, or some other large building. Try to determine how your feet hit the surface and whether one leg seems to hit differently than the other. Also be aware of non-symmetric hip or arm/shoulder motion.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • samsbike
    I am using spds with carbon soled mtb shoes, so they are very stiff.

Will look into this gait thing
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    samsbike wrote:
    I am using spds with carbon soled mtb shoes, so they are very stiff.

Will look into this gait thing

Looking at the wear on the soles of your normal shoes will give you an idea . I wear down the outside edge of the heel on my shoes - and after a pro fitting of my shoes have a couple of degrees of wedge to tip my foot into its natural position
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,386
    samsbike wrote:
    I have front knee ache, and its totally random. Sometimes its the right foot, then the left, or its the right hand side, or left or centre. Its very weird.

What I dont understand is, without going to a fitter can I work out if I need wedges, insoles etc?

thanks

Don't know where you live or if there are equivalents in your area but the Northampton School of Podiatry is reasonably local to me.

£10 for a consultation (I think), where they will assess you and make you some temporary insoles. You go back a couple of weeks later, they look at your insoles, ask you loads of questions, check gait etc etc alter or make some more temporary ones if necessary, you go back until you are happy with the temp ones, whereupon "permanent" ones are made at about £30 per pair - I have a pair for my every day shoes, pair for my rugby/running footwear and a pair for cycling. Years of knee and ankle pain and expensive physiotherapy gone (and I have had real problems with my knees!) Can't recommend them highly enough - the best £30 I've ever spent.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • samsbike
    Thanks I will give them.a call. I sometimes work in Milton Keynes so it may work out
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW don't overlook the fact that your knees themselves may be the weak point in the chain. Buying a trying bunch of various pedals, cleats, shims, etc. may not do a thing for you and you may need to come to the realization that the knees can't take that kind of stress. Not saying that this is your case but at least you need to give it some thought.
  • samsbike
    its my knees that are causing me issues. Currently trying high cadence, shorter cranks and seeing how it goes.