team47b Posts: 6,425
edited August 2013 in The bottom bracket
teacake.jpg

MMMMM! :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That looks more like tea loaf. Delicious too I'll grant you, but a teacake is an altogether different beast.

Freshly toasted, buttered teacakes and a pint of steaming tea... Perfect post winter ride snack!
  • team47b
    it is a tea cake but I got carried away with the amount and baked it in a loaf tin rather than make those small portion buns, cut this puppy it in half, toast, spread with butter- result giant tea cake, mmmm.

It also has cinnamon, nutmeg, clove raisins sultanas and cranberries and no sugar (diabetic) so is a spicey tea cake.

Oh OK it's not a tea cake.

It's a spicey fruit tea loaf :D
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    http://www.thecyclejersey.com/shop/inde ... ucts_id=48

Now that Sir, is the correct attire for a cyclist who likes proper tea cake. (I can almost hear Peter Kay saying Tea? Cake?)
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    I want a home made recipe for flap jacks and i'd like to be able to chuck nuts and raisins into as well - is that possible? I decided I am not going to pay a fortune for those breakfast bars which are full of stuff you don't know what is*, for cycling.
    Any helpers?

* I am going to learn clockwork orange speak.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I want a home made recipe for flap jacks and i'd like to be able to chuck nuts and raisins into as well - is that possible? I decided I am not going to pay a fortune for those breakfast bars which are full of stuff you don't know what is*, for cycling.
    Any helpers?

Hang round the Moloko bar and dig the kids.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I want a home made recipe for flap jacks and i'd like to be able to chuck nuts and raisins into as well - is that possible? I decided I am not going to pay a fortune for those breakfast bars which are full of stuff you don't know what is*, for cycling.
    Any helpers?

Here you go.

NuttyFlapjack Recipe
    1lb oz Porridge
    8 oz Dark soft sugar
    8 oz Olive spread
    8 oz Syrup
    8oz chopped nuts

Melt syrup and spread.
    Mix porridge and sugar and nuts
    Put in greased flat dish.
    Flatten down with a fork. (a wooden spoon will stick.)
    Bake 35 mins @ 175 degrees.

I usualey make a double batch and the recipe is quite forgiving.
    Leave out the nuts and put in as many pieces of crystalised ginger as you like. A big old handful of raspberries works well. If you use dried fruit, I like to chuck it in with the melting syrup/spread mix to soften it up a bit.
    If you like a less "chewy" bake, just back off on the sugar and syrup...or replace some of the syrup with jam...or marmalade. the possibilities are almost endless!
  • pinno
    Graham. wrote:
    Any helpers?

Here you go.

NuttyFlapjack Recipe
    1lb oz Porridge
    8 oz Dark soft sugar
    8 oz Olive spread
    8 oz Syrup
    8oz chopped nuts

Melt syrup and spread.

Leave out the nuts and put in as many pieces of crystalised ginger as you like. A big old handful of raspberries works well. If you use dried fruit, I like to chuck it in with the melting syrup/spread mix to soften it up a bit.
    If you like a less "chewy" bake, just back off on the sugar and syrup...or replace some of the syrup with jam...or marmalade. the possibilities are almost endless!

Oooooooooh, Sounds good. Can you use butter instead of olive spread? I presume you are watching the calories - I am the opposite, i'm down to 4lbs 6 ounces after a good summer. If I get any lighter, I won't turn the pedals when I stand up on the bike.
  • graham.
    Graham. wrote:
    Any helpers?

Here you go.

NuttyFlapjack Recipe
    1lb oz Porridge
    8 oz Dark soft sugar
    8 oz Olive spread
    8 oz Syrup
    8oz chopped nuts

Melt syrup and spread.

Oooooooooh, Sounds good. Can you use butter instead of olive spread? I presume you are watching the calories - I am the opposite, i'm down to 4lbs 6 ounces after a good summer. If I get any lighter, I won't turn the pedals when I stand up on the bike.

Butter? Don't see why not. I put olive spread 'cos that's what we tend to have in the 'fridge. It's just grease to bind things together! :lol:
  • Graham. wrote:
    Graham. wrote:
    Any helpers?

Here you go.

NuttyFlapjack Recipe
    1lb oz Porridge
    8 oz Dark soft sugar
    8 oz Olive spread
    8 oz Syrup
    8oz chopped nuts

Melt syrup and spread.

Butter? Don't see why not. I put olive spread 'cos that's what we tend to have in the 'fridge. It's just grease to bind things together! :lol:

Ahem, I am an engineer in the biggest margarine and edible fat factory in the UK and it is not "just grease". the modern phenomena of ignoranceabout edible and spreadable fats is like a tsunami of disbelief for me :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • graham.
    Graham. wrote:
    Graham. wrote:
    Any helpers?

Here you go.

NuttyFlapjack Recipe
    1lb oz Porridge
    8 oz Dark soft sugar
    8 oz Olive spread
    8 oz Syrup
    8oz chopped nuts

Melt syrup and spread.

Ahem, I am an engineer in the biggest margarine and edible fat factory in the UK and it is not "just grease". the modern phenomena of ignoranceabout edible and spreadable fats is like a tsunami of disbelief for me :D

You know what I meant! :lol:

Anyway. Can you actually still buy "Margarine"?
  • Yep. Stork, Dawn, Phase and a european product Bona are all high veg fat margarine. the rest are all edible fat spreads not margarine. :wink:
  • Yep. Stork, Dawn, Phase and a european product Bona are all high veg fat margarine. the rest are all edible fat spreads not margarine. :wink:

So what's the difference between a high veg fat margarine and an edible fat spread? Is one natural and the other synthetic? And what has your industry done with Golden Churn and St Ivel Gold?
  • Ma, where's the meatloaf
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • pinno
    This whole thing (BTW thanks Graham)...about hydrogentaed vegetable oil is a tin of slop we need to talk about.

I do not understand why people eat margarine and think they are eating healthily - or spreads for that matter. The whole process of hydrogenation is incidious. There is hydrogenated vegetable oil in almost everything you buy and a lot of it is Soya.
    1. Soya is the scurge. They chop down Amazon rain forest to grow Soya to feed the cattle and provide the oil for hydrogenation. The soil will provide 2 years of crops and then be fallow, so you move on to more virgin rainforest.
    2. Unfermented Soya was used as a contraceptive in old China. Fermented Soya as in Soy Sauce is fine but the residue from people in inner cities from the consumption of Soya products going into the water systems is directly linked to infertility in women in urban Western areas.
    3. Hydrogenated vegetable oils contain trans fatty acids and the Germans believe that 42% of heart disease is cause by TFA's - they set a limit of 8 grams a day and their labelling also shows the level of trans in any product. One Mars Bar will exceed your dailly recomended limit of trans.
    4. There is a port south of Sao Paulo built partly by American funding which is currently running at one fifth its capacity in anticipation of the increase in demand for Soya and beef - god help whats left of the Amazon.

Rant/lecture over. Sorry to piddle on some chips.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    This whole thing (BTW thanks Graham)...about hydrogentaed vegetable oil is a tin of slop we need to talk about.

I do not understand why people eat margarine and think they are eating healthily - or spreads for that matter. The whole process of hydrogenation is incidious. There is hydrogenated vegetable oil in almost everything you buy and a lot of it is Soya.
    1. Soya is the scurge. They chop down Amazon rain forest to grow Soya to feed the cattle and provide the oil for hydrogenation. The soil will provide 2 years of crops and then be fallow, so you move on to more virgin rainforest.
    2. Unfermented Soya was used as a contraceptive in old China. Fermented Soya as in Soy Sauce is fine but the residue from people in inner cities from the consumption of Soya products going into the water systems is directly linked to infertility in women in urban Western areas.
    3. Hydrogenated vegetable oils contain trans fatty acids and the Germans believe that 42% of heart disease is cause by TFA's - they set a limit of 8 grams a day and their labelling also shows the level of trans in any product. One Mars Bar will exceed your dailly recomended limit of trans.
    4. There is a port south of Sao Paulo built partly by American funding which is currently running at one fifth its capacity in anticipation of the increase in demand for Soya and beef - god help whats left of the Amazon.

Rant/lecture over. Sorry to piddle on some chips.

Well put, so the rise of Soya and its vegetarian minions are actually killing the world?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • team47b
    I know, there would be a lot more environment to care for if the vegetarians didn't insist on eating it all :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - recipe above is cool. Essentially flapjacks are dead easy to make and once you have the base (oats, golden syrup, bit and bobs) you can pile whatever you want in there - marshmallows and nuts and chocolate are well good like it is.

So what's the difference between a high veg fat margarine and an edible fat spread? Is one natural and the other synthetic? And what has your industry done with Golden Churn and St Ivel Gold?

St ivel and golden churn are now discontined, along with krona and Blueband. Margarine has to have a certain level of veg fat in it to be called margarine. Due to lighter products being developed with less fat, more water and chemicals/treatments to bind and hold it together, these are branded "Spreads".

I hate my job really.
  • I've noticed that an increasing number of spreads are shite for spreading on hot toast. They change the texture of the toast for the worse. Presumably that's the 'more water' that you mention. I feel cheated. I'm going to write to my supermarket and tell them to put butter on 2-for-1 instead of pretend butter with more water in it.
  • Flora buttery is probably one of the best out there, as is clover as they are made with buttermilk, which has a slightly higher fat content and taste and is also oil continuous as a pose to water continous, which being oil continuous wont make your toast manky.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As an aside, we tend to go for Bertoli - it supposedly is made with olive oil and tastes a bit nicer. I can't

Whether we have been sucked into the branding or the fact that its generally on cheap at the supermarket is another matter altogether ....................

Waddya say - as trash as the rest of them?
  • Yossie wrote:
    As an aside, we tend to go for Bertoli - it supposedly is made with olive oil and tastes a bit nicer. I can't

Whether we have been sucked into the branding or the fact that its generally on cheap at the supermarket is another matter altogether ....................

Waddya say - as trash as the rest of them?

Nah bertolli is ok, made with gash cheap olive oil though.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    I've noticed that an increasing number of spreads are shite for spreading on hot toast. They change the texture of the toast for the worse. Presumably that's the 'more water' that you mention. I feel cheated. I'm going to write to my supermarket and tell them to put butter on 2-for-1 instead of pretend butter with more water in it.
    Lurpak is a real toast killer
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I don't eat butter, margarine or spreads, I find them gopping.( :wink: Sean)
    But my missus likes Lurpak. Why do they call it Lurpak Spreadable when it clearly isn't?
  • pinno
    Ballysmate wrote:
    But my missus likes Lurpak. Why do they call it Lurpak Spreadable when it clearly isn't?

Try a little manipulating in your hands and cover the missus with it.

I'll see you back here in... erm...3 minutes?

Help needed in road general:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12938973&p=18511197#p18509947
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:

Try a little manipulating in your hands and cover the missus with it.

I'll see you back here in... erm...3 minutes?

Help needed in road general:

viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12938973&p=18511197#p18509947

If I tried touching butter, the only thing I would cover the missus in would be vomit. Not her idea of foreplay.
  • ballysmate
    Couldn't reproduce the scene from Last Tango in Paris either. :cry:
  • pinno
    Oh well. I tried. How about lithium grease?
  • ballysmate
    Sorry Pinar, I was away more than 3 mins. Only thing I could find was Swarfega. Felt a bit unusual, but strangely, she found the aroma a turn on.
  • pinno
    For an extra exotic experience:

Try Gritfega. It does exist. It's like Swarfega with sand in it.