No Di2 on Giant 2014 UK range

AndyK2479
AndyK2479 Posts: 75
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Just had a call from a Giant store after I enquired about the 2014 Defy Advanced 0, which is already showing on Giant's US and Australian website.
Bloke told me there will be no Defy Advanced 0 in the UK and NO Di2 equipped bikes at all, as the cost is prohibitive.
Also the only Defy SL will be the 1, top of the range 0 being dropped also.

If Giant aren't running with Di2 for the UK, does it mean electric shifting may be another short lived fad? Or do you think this a bit of a cock up on their part?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    just think it's Giant being short sighted ...
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    The cost is now not much more than mechanical Ultegra so that's rubbish.

Di2 is the future,Giant may not be.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Makes no sense especially considering that Blanco uses Di2...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I thought it was strange as the Defy Advanced 0 with Di2 was a big seller for Giant in MY2013 from what the shop staff told me, it was also high on my 'next bike' list.
  • Bar Shaker wrote:

RRP's may be similar but I bet the cost prices are a different story - odd though, despite cost I would've thought they'd have specced a tcr/defy advanced with di2 just to have them. Maybe that eleventh cog involved a significant rework of the rear mech??
  • Grill
    Bar Shaker wrote:

RRP's may be similar but I bet the cost prices are a different story - odd though, despite cost I would've thought they'd have specced a tcr/defy advanced with di2 just to have them. Maybe that eleventh cog involved a significant rework of the rear mech??

Dealer margins are fairly uniform over the different groupsets. Going 11 speed is not an issue for the rear mech as the 11spd gruppos are specced with the appropriate mech. All you need is an 11spd compatible freehub on the wheel to make it work.
  • They are doing dura ace Di2 but not Ultegra.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Grill
    They are doing dura ace Di2 but not Ultegra.

In that case the answer is quite simple. Shimano has yet to release Ultegra 6870 and 6770 is now outdated and most likely discontinued, so as that's why you won't see 6770 on their 2014 line. Not all brands will go this route, but it makes sense now.
  • If you go on Giant's Oz site the bikes are on there.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Avit5
    Avit5 Posts: 114
    From my quick chat with the Giant store this morning the only UK bike that will be specced with any electronic gears will be the TCR Advanced 0 @ £3250 which will have dura ace di2.
  • That's far too cheap for dura ace Di2
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • Avit5
    That's far too cheap for dura ace Di2

Agree but on the US Giant website the TCR Advanced 0 is $4475 which is about £2850 so given the inflated prices we pay in the UK it would seem about right at £3250.

Giant US TCR advanced 0 : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 797/66270/

Maybe I have not heard him correctly though !! Hopefully the UK site will be updated with the new 2014 range in the next couple of days.
  • Grill
    Avit5 wrote:

Agree but on the US Giant website the TCR Advanced 0 is $4475 which is about £2850 so given the inflated prices we pay in the UK it would seem about right at £3250.

Giant US TCR advanced 0 : http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 797/66270/

Maybe I have not heard him correctly though !! Hopefully the UK site will be updated with the new 2014 range in the next couple of days.

You're wrong as you haven't accounted for VAT. There is no VAT in the US as tax varies by state and county and is always on top of the listed price. So even at £2850 it works out to £3420 with VAT although I would wager it will come in at the 4k mark.
  • Avit5
    Grill wrote:
    Avit5 wrote:

You're wrong as you haven't accounted for VAT. There is no VAT in the US as tax varies by state and county and is always on top of the listed price. So even at £2850 it works out to £3420 with VAT although I would wager it will come in at the 4k mark.

Correct i am wrong about the VAT not be accounted for.
    But on the US site the Defy Advanced 1 (ultegra 6800) is $3200 which is about £2050 plus VAT is about £2460 and the UK price of the 2014 Defy Advanced 1 is £2400 so not far from the US prices.

Like I say I probably didn't hear the Giant UK chap correctly and it will be nearer the 4k mark like you say.

Would be nice though if £3250 is correct - bargain !!
  • lesmitch
    lesmitch Posts: 12
    hi giant bikes are having there launch as we speak I have just received 2014 full price list from a dealer if anyone is interested
  • Grill
    Post it.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    The bikes look nice. Almost identical to my 2012 TCR Advanced! In fact, the only thing that looks different is the paint job, and the price tag will look different of course.

In my opinion the bikes haven't 'advanced' one bit since 2012. Shame.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    ct8282 wrote:
    The bikes look nice. Almost identical to my 2012 TCR Advanced! In fact, the only thing that looks different is the paint job, and the price tag will look different of course.

In my opinion the bikes haven't 'advanced' one bit since 2012. Shame.

I think in general the bikes are slightly cheaper this year than the outgoing model and without a reduction in spec.
    I.E Defy Advanced 1 2013 was £2500 and this year it is £2400 and with 6800.
  • lesmitch
    lesmitch Posts: 12
    giant 2014 prices as requested
    tcr advanced sl o 7000
    sl 2 4800
    sl 3 3000
    tcr advanced 0 3250
    1 2400
    2 1900
    tcr composite 1 1600
    2 1300
    3 1100
    trinity composite 2 1700

defy 0 1200
    defy 1 1000
    defy 2 800
    defy 3 700
    defy 4 600
    defy 5 500
  • Avit5
    As above then the TCR Advanced 0 is £3250 but is it ultegra Di2 or dura ace Di2 ?
    Certainly on the US & Aussie Giant websites it states 11 speed Di2 but not clear which version. Maybe in the US & Oz they have ultegra Di2 being made available before the UK hence them offering it now.
  • Grill
    Avit5 wrote:
    As above then the TCR Advanced 0 is £3250 but is it ultegra Di2 or dura ace Di2 ?
    Certainly on the US & Aussie Giant websites it states 11 speed Di2 but not clear which version. Maybe in the US & Oz they have ultegra Di2 being made available before the UK hence them offering it now.

The price makes more sense now with Ultegra Di2. 6870 (11spd Ultegra Di2) is made available to manufacturers before the general public so they'll be equipped as stated.
  • Avit5
    Yes i was totally incorrect about it maybe being dura ace di2. Would have been a bargain !!
    I think between the giant chap and myself we got confused with the UK release date of ultegra di2 which he said was early next year and the assumption then that because the advanced tcr was available to order now it would come with dura ace di2. Hands held up !!
  • Hi

Does anyone know if there has been or is going to be a change of heart by Giant with regards Di2 on the 2014 Defy?

Cheers
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    suts89 wrote:
    Hi

Does anyone know if there has been or is going to be a change of heart by Giant with regards Di2 on the 2014 Defy?

Cheers

Doesn't look like it...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • Ive just come from the local dealer in Spain and the story is the same here!

Looks like i,m gonna get a TCR Advanced Zero instead :lol: :P

Cheers
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Re Defy - Why not go for the Defy SL Frameset at £2k or SL 1 - then grab groupset/upgrade parts from places like Merlin. ITs how I got my Propel SL3 to SL0 spec.

Re no Di2 - ask your man what the TCR Advnaced SL0 and Propel Advanced SL0 are being sold with as they are shown as both running with Dura Ace Di2.