Cleaning Rims

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
May be a silly question, but what's the best way to clean the rims/pads? I've noticed a fade in power over the last few weeks and I'm not sure how to clean the black grime off without contaminating them ... water-soluble degreaser?

Cheers.

Comments

• paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    I use Fenwicks fs10 in hot water and a sponge scourer from the pound shop. Scrub until the black mark doesn't appear on my finger anymore. Might not be the best method but it works for me.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Sponge scourer and WD40, then rinse with hot soapy water.
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    That said check your cables too, they might just have stretched a little if the bike is new which would account for the loss in performance as would worn pads, all of which can be sorted very easily. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't put wd40 anywhere near my braking surfaces. Care to explain the science bozman?
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Wipe with a washing up liquid on a wet sponge then rinse and dry for both rim and block.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,583
    Soap and water is usually enough, they only get dirty again after 10 minutes out on the bike anyway.

I use some spray on cleaner and a hosepipe to rinse off. if I'm pottering with the bike at the weekend I might do a proper clean once a month or so with degreaser but I'm not sure there's much benefit really.
  • Bozman
    edited August 2013
    paulorg wrote:
    That said check your cables too, they might just have stretched a little if the bike is new which would account for the loss in performance as would worn pads, all of which can be sorted very easily. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't put wd40 anywhere near my braking surfaces. Care to explain the science bozman?

It's a good degreaser and lifts the grime off the rims well, I've done it for years without affecting the braking. I'm not talking about a lubricant am I and you rinse the rest of the grime off with hot soapy water, you're left with a grime free rim :shock:
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I use antibacterial cleaning wipes - get rid of grease and grim and I might want to eat my food of my wheel later :)
  • bosdoc
    bosdoc Posts: 19
    i employ someone to clean my rims
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    I just buy new wheels every month :D

I spray my wheels with muck off or similar and then scrub with wet sponge. If you keep on top of cleaning its not that much effort compared to a bike which has been neglected.

I also have black breaking surfaces on my wheels which helps as they don't show the dirt.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Washing up liquid and water applied with a sponge scourer works well for general use. But it will not shift ingrained deposits on the rims. For that I use occasionally and carefully a bit of wire wool with water. Braking performance is transformed once you get rid of all the muck.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Muck Off to clean the wheels in general and then some degreaser on a rag to rub the rims down with. Rinse under a tap.

I'd also be perfectly happy to use something lightly abrasive and washing up liquid or even WD40 to degrease followed by soapy water (to get the oils off). WD40 degreases well as it just dilutes other oils until they run off, you do need to take care not to wash grease out of bearing with it though.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use a soft brush and soapy water (car shampoo- tutle wax) to clean my whole bike, I never even thought of cleaning the braking surface.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Whatever you do, don't use WD40... and let's stop advising WD40 as a panacea... WD40 has no place in cycling
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Whatever you do, don't use WD40... and let's stop advising WD40 as a panacea... WD40 has no place in cycling
    Except as a team sponsor?
  • ugo.santalucia
    Slowbike wrote:

The product was introduced to deal with seized locks and seized threads... I am not convinced smearing it on the rims does any good to the tyres and it simply is not a product for cleaning...
  • Bozman
    Slowbike wrote:

The product was introduced to deal with seized locks and seized threads... I am not convinced smearing it on the rims does any good to the tyres and it simply is not a product for cleaning...

I've used it for years without an issue, I also use it as a cleaner on motorbikes because it degreases and cleans anything covered in grime and oil, I wouldn't spray it on a 12 grand bike if I thought that it would damage anything.
    I'll cover my chain in it once a week and wipe it down to clean it before I lube it, It just works a treat as a mild degreaser but it's shite as a lube.
  • glyn496
    glyn496 Posts: 4
    WD40 is excellent for removing residue left by adhesive tape or stickers from hard surfaces.

...I know, rubbish first post :oops:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I dunno, but if peeps use a ' product' to clean stuff, but that product needs to be washed off before the stuff is used, why not dispense with the 'product' and just wash stuff. It will save both time and money.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • ugo.santalucia
    If people have rims covered in grease and oil, maybe they are doing something wrong? My rims can be covered in mud or dirt, or dust, but not oil or grease, not sure where you guys ride
  • Dmak
    Dmak Posts: 445
    bosdoc wrote:
    i employ someone to clean my rims

Cleaning, not bleaching! :P
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    Baby wipes seem powerful enough to get everything off. God knows what baby poo is made from?!
  • keith57
    keith57 Posts: 164
    2nd the baby wipes, my workshop has loads of half-used packs left over from various holiday trips. I find them great for the rims after washing the whole bike and the occasional quick wipe down of the frame where I've missed bits after the main wash.
    http://www.fachwen.org
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/303457

Please note: I’ll no longer engage deeply with anonymous forum users :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Disc rotor cleaner.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Really hot water and scotchbrite. Job jobbed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • CSDGC
    CSDGC Posts: 8
    Muc off bike cleaner and Sainsbury's Basics sponge scourers (19p for a pack of 5).
    Wash off with hose and wipe round once more with scourer.
  • WD40 is a thinning agent, NOT a degreaser.

Mild scotchbright pad and warm water works every time.
    2010 Specialized FSR XC Pro - XTR group set
    2013 Boardman Team Carbon - Std, for now ;)