Swapping tyres

kennywilde
kennywilde Posts: 54
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hello. A couple of tyre related questions

1- Can I swap my 700x32 down to a 700x28? Be faster/easier I take it?

2- I want to put Gatorskins or Marathon Plus on or similar. I will be commuting only about 6 miles per day (might move so more) every day all year and the odd ride. So would the Gatorskins be any good in the wet? I did have marathon plus on my mtb and did have the odd slide on grates.

Thanks

Comments

• kennywilde wrote:

1- Can I swap my 700x32 down to a 700x28?

Usually, yes
    Be faster/easier I take it?

Not necessarily.
  • kennywilde wrote:

Be faster/easier I take it?

Not necessarily.

Care to explain mate?
  • I got a speed boost when I went from 32 to 28 - but will depend on the tyre you're coming from and going to I reckon
  • I got a speed boost when I went from 32 to 28 - but will depend on the tyre you're coming from and going to I reckon

I have a basic Continental Contact 700 x32 and wanting to go to a Gatorskin or Marathon Plus. What you rekon?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited August 2013
    The don't marathons roll as well as the contacts so rolling resistance will probably go up slight, Gatrorksins would be the better bet.

Slight aero advantage (very slight!) above about 20mph....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    1) yes, probably not by much, but you may think it is ...
    2) I prefer the GP4Seasons - they go up to 28mm although I use 23mm with a set up for the road (used them on my road bike). Over winter I used CX tyres when the snow/ice came ...