I nearly fell off this morning on Bishopsgate.... from shock

noodles71
noodles71 Posts: 153
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
Nothing new this morning with Police scoping for cyclists running the red at Bishopsgate & Camomile St. For the first time in 12 years of London commuting however I saw what I thought would never happen. Said policeman walks over to a car that rolled all the way into the ASL and starts to compliment the driver on his nice bike. Driver gives back some attitude and out comes the ticket book.

I'm quite tempted to do a FOI request at the end of the year to see if there really was a ticket issued by City of London police this year for an ASL offence.

There can't be too many issued over the years so I better be fair and say well done to the policeman when credit is due. There is at least one who seems to understand all cyclists don't jump reds and is willing to apply the law against all of the traffic when applicable.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's been all over the news for the last few days that they are clamping down on ASL encroachment and RLJing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's been all over the news for the last few days that they are clamping down on ASL encroachment and RLJing.

And yet, when I gently (and it really was polite and gentle) alerted a van driver to that fact, in Brixton on Friday night, he kindly offered to run me over and kill me at the next set of lights.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I don't think this has filtered all the way through the police force yet though. At the London 100 mile bike ride thing a couple of weeks ago, I did the whole sit in the lorry and see what visibility was like etc from the driving seat.

The officer and I then moved on to discussing ASLs, he reiterated the usual line that ASLs have no legal basis and that they cannot stop drivers from driving into them, he said that the law may change next year but at the moment they can't enforce them (yet some officers DO seem to be able to enforce them is this thread is anything to go by). He went on to say that they would need to start fining cyclists who enter the ASL from any way other than the cycle lane as they cross a firm white stop line...

To be honest this came across as quite unhelpful and pedantic. I've been stopped by the police for passing through an ASL. One time a police motorcyclists was sat in the ASL in The City (alongside a van and a cab IIRC) and as I passed out the other side, came up along side ME to tell ME that I should be in the "fictitious" ASL which he had blatantly ignored! Huge inconsistency in policing....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited August 2013
    reiterated the usual line that ASLs have no legal basis and that they cannot stop drivers from driving into them
    Not true. Not while the light is red anyway. They're NOT like a yellow box, in that you can drive into it and block it on a green light.
    He went on to say that they would need to start fining cyclists who enter the ASL from any way other than the cycle lane as they cross a firm white stop line...
    Correct.

If you enter the ASL (on a bike) by crossing a solid white line then you've commited the same offence as a car that drives into the ASL on a red light.

Which makes this a real mystery: http://goo.gl/maps/1OxJV
    One time a police motorcyclists was sat in the ASL in The City (alongside a van and a cab IIRC) and as I passed out the other side, came up along side ME to tell ME that I should be in the "fictitious" ASL which he had blatantly ignored!
    It's perfectly legal to enter an ASL on a green light, at the back of a queue of traffic, and then be stuck there when the light goes red.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Technically, there is no specific offense of cars/motorbikes illegially entering an ASL..technically they are jumping a red light: http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Ad ... 0018009433

RED LIGHT JUMPING CAR WAN*ERS!!!!! :)
  • ps so are you if you go over the second white line ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    noodles71 wrote:
    I'm quite tempted to do a FOI request at the end of the year to see if there really was a ticket issued by City of London police this year for an ASL offence.
    Pointless, the offence is failing to comply with an automated traffic signal which is jumping a red light, so they'll only have stats for them all.

As for the officer who didn't know it was an offence, it doesn't surprise me, I made a formal complaint after witnessing a Police driver enter an ASL with the lights red, earnt him an informal reprimand.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I got to the ASL at the junction of Walton Rd and Hans Rd (just near Harrods) and I noticed the entry to the ASL had been painted across. I had one of those red police vans next to me and I rolled into the ASL even though technically I was not allowed to. I like to thumb my nose at authority.
  • asprilla
    I always enter the one at the end of Rocks Lane on the right because it's three lanes and I'm turning right. No way am I going to move perpendicular to the traffic across three lanes when the lights could change.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • They Police are getting better, the battle of the week for me is people parking in segregated contraflow cycle lanes, as they're parked inside the parking restrictions the local council says they're outside their durasdiction. This falls to TFL who have no one out there actually enforcing against idiots who park there!
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Technically, there is no specific offense of cars/motorbikes illegially entering an ASL..technically they are jumping a red light: http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Ad ... 0018009433

I'm all in favour of ASLs and the increase in policing both drivers and cyclists, but as the fine for a car crossing a solid white line is £100 and for a bike is £50 I can imagine some mildly disgruntled motorists.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    tetm wrote:
    Technically, there is no specific offense of cars/motorbikes illegially entering an ASL..technically they are jumping a red light: http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Ad ... 0018009433

I'm all in favour of ASLs and the increase in policing both drivers and cyclists, but as the fine for a car crossing a solid white line is £100 and for a bike is £50 I can imagine some mildly disgruntled motorists.

Its all based on the number of wheels you have. Jump it on a unicycle and its only £25....
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    menthel wrote:
    tetm wrote:

Its all based on the number of wheels you have. Jump it on a unicycle and its only £25....

Expensive on roller skates then. Cheers for the clarification... 8)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    bails87 wrote:
    If you enter the ASL (on a bike) by crossing a solid white line then you've commited the same offence as a car that drives into the ASL on a red light.

Meh! I sometimes go down the outside of the cars, particularly if the gutter side already has other cyclists in it. But I still want to get into the ASL ahead of the cars, so yep I ride over the line.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • menthel
    I have noticed that at least 2 of the asl boxes on my commute home have solid lines all the way across. Pretty useless really!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    In London it's fine to enter the asl from anywhere on a push bike. If you get caught just point to scooter sitting in the asl or blocking the cycle lane entry point.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    So - what's the charge, officer?
    ZpQjrKF.jpg
  • bails87
    Agent57 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Meh! I sometimes go down the outside of the cars, particularly if the gutter side already has other cyclists in it. But I still want to get into the ASL ahead of the cars, so yep I ride over the line.

I'm not saying it's A Bad Thing, I do the same. Just saying that the law is an ass!
    MTB/CX

• menthel
    They were pulling cockwombles over at the lights at Tooting Bec this morning, cars and cycles.
    RIP commute...
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    menthel wrote:
    They were pulling cockwombles over at the lights at Tooting Bec this morning, cars and cycles.

Very near where I got a ticket for RLJ when I first started commutting and didn't know better (and everyone else was doing it). Heasding north from Tooting BEC next set of light where there is no left turn. Motorcycle policeman hiding in building on left before the lights.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • menthel
    Sketchley wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Very near where I got a ticket for RLJ when I first started commutting and didn't know better (and everyone else was doing it). Heasding north from Tooting BEC next set of light where there is no left turn. Motorcycle policeman hiding in building on left before the lights.

These guys were not hiding, big presence at the junction, with PCSO's before the lights radioing in any offenders. Luckily they were not at Clapham where I ran a dodgy amber this morning in a sucessful attempt not to get killed by a lorry.
    RIP commute...
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    There seemed to be PCSOs stopping cyclists and cars running the lights/ASLs/white lines at the junction of Embankment and Northumberland Avenue last evening, though I couldn't see if they were issuing tickets or not.

Red Brompton S6L
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I recon some kind of chest height lazer mesh across the road a bit like resident evil, anyone running the lights is diced into small cubes.

Too much? :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    They were doing the same on Tooley St-Jamaica Rd on Tuesday eve. They told off a cyclist for being ahead of the ASL, then the car behind him for being in the ASL. Reckon that's the right order to do it in, so the driver can't get arsey as they've already seen a cyclist being told off. No tickets issued but good to see.

I'm going to have to stop rolling past the end of the ASL to get a jump on the cars that sit in it at this rate :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,689
    itboffin wrote:
    I recon some kind of chest height lazer mesh across the road a bit like resident evil, anyone running the lights is diced into small cubes.

Too much? :twisted:
    No, seems reasonable. I think it would probably discourage repeat offenders.
  • I went for a spin into town yesterday, on way back down the embankment quite a few points they where pulling folks over, plus watching the junction onto Putney Bridge.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dhope wrote:
    I'm going to have to stop rolling past the end of the ASL to get a jump on the cars that sit in it at this rate :roll:
    I just park sideways right across in front of them, which of course makes my pullaway slower as I have to then straighten up - though I only do this when I see them entre the box on red and not get legitemately stranded!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    bails87 wrote:

%255BUNSET%255D.png

Squeezing three lanes at that junction have made them a bit narrow for filtering up a queue of traffic. Maybe they're expecting you to circumvent the queuing traffic on the pavement ? :?
    Boardman CX Team
  • asprilla
    Wonder what the law thinks of dismounting, walking into the ASL and then remounting?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    cookdn wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

%255BUNSET%255D.png

Squeezing three lanes at that junction have made them a bit narrow for filtering up a queue of traffic. Maybe they're expecting you to circumvent the queuing traffic on the pavement ? :?
    But they can design them with a small section of broken line at the side of each lane, so you don't need a filter lane at all (although it does diminish the use of them).
    MTB/CX