Need some help choosing a bike please!

djh1990
djh1990 Posts: 6
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
I am going to be commuting 8 miles each way daily and I am trying to choose between 3 bikes.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec044185
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030741
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rid ... e-ec043410

I have seen the Ridgeback Element on another website for £370, which brings it (just) in to my price range.

I do not know a lot about bikes so I am having a hard time deciphering which of these would be the best for my needs. Any help would be massively appreciated!

Comments

• sorry cant compare with the others but I had a sirrus sport (the one up from the one there) last year as my first bike and i loved it - very comfortable and smooth (and reliable for the 1500 miles I had it)

Basically you need to book a test ride with these bikes to see which you get on with most. Different people like (or fit) different bikes so you really need to go out on them.

With evans you pay a refundable £50 deposit I think and go off and see how you get on. Go into the shop to tell them your needs and they might also suggest something else, or they'll just order the bikes in in your size for a test - and getting the right size is important
  • moggy12
    moggy12 Posts: 109
    i have had trek 7.5fx sirrus and now have aused boardman hybrid comp iprefer boardman the best get a used one 300- 350
  • moggy12 wrote:
    i have had trek 7.5fx sirrus and now have aused boardman hybrid comp iprefer boardman the best get a used one 300- 350

There is a Trek 7.5 FX and there is a Specialized Sirrus, there's no Trek 7.5FX Sirrus.
  • moggy12
    I meant specialized sirrus aswell has the trek 7.5fx was on smart tv when replying very slow work
  • moggy12 wrote:
    I meant specialized sirrus aswell has the trek 7.5fx was on smart tv when replying very slow work

Did you like the 7.5FX, always looked like a good bike. I used to have a 7.1FX and it was a good starter bike.
  • moggy12
    yes I did did some good distance on it really comfortable to ride but I think I prefer the boardman hybrid comp seems smoother I did buy it used with the richey ocr wheels on it though these come on the boardman pro has standard really good rolling between pedals revs but only had it for 2 weeks so still new to me
  • my brother had the boardman but was always complaining about vibration in his hands/wrists regardless of bike fits. I think if you compare the sirrus and boardman side to side (same rider/route conditions etc) the boardman would be faster but not as comfortable - thats what we both believed after swopping for a while....and I didnt like the SRAM gears - too clunky/noisy ;)

But the trouble with these forums and the internet is it's no substite for actually riding the damn things. What works for one wont work for all...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    my brother had the boardman but was always complaining about vibration in his hands/wrists regardless of bike fits.

I get that with any flat bar. They put a kink in your wrist which concentrates the vibration, a bit like a stress raiser. I switched my MTB style flats for a more curly One-One Mary and cured the problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Consider also a Carrera Gryphon.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.