Feeling slightly smug

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
We've got a major office move happening next week where over a 100 new staff are moving into this building. The car park is already over subscribed and cars are forced to park all around the business park where we're based.

Everyone is getting very worried about not having anywhere near by to park and how much of a nightmare it's going to be getting out of the estate (single entrance / exit) in the evening.

I ride a bike 8)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    and rightly so :)
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • We had a simmilar situation here with building works. Part of the carpark was out of bounds, and we are oversubscribed at the best of times. :D
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Its inhumane to expect people to have to walk a couple of hundred yards from their car to the office.

The poor drivers should bring an action citing the Human Rights Act - its their 'uman rite to park next to their office innit?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Just wait until they dig up the bike racks to make room for two more cars.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    We're moving next week too. Only 4 of us going, there's plenty of space in the car park but it's 50 miles away instead of 10.

Not feeling smug at all :(
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I feel slightly smug every time I get on my bike, get to the office and then spend the next 30 minutes listening to colleagues complaining about Traffic, Tube and buses... as well as the congestion charge. Hell some of them even live closer to the office than I do.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    At our office - if the front door is open I can ride right to my desk ... :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Last time building work happened onsite it was parking chaos, first the parking spaces go to make way for the buildings, then all the building contractors take out 200 of the reduced spaces......

Major new building to house 900 staff being planned to be started in 5 months, no mention yet of any car parking AT ALL to cope with the influx, and the building is on a car park that currently has over 100 spaces!

Feeling smug for a different reason though, all the shared Strava segments with a guy in the office he is now behind me on, took 12seconds off my PR this morning putting him 8s behind me.....no I didn't pace myself in to that point - honest!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    My companies moving offices, shower and bike parking where not even considered! As luck would have it the new building does has a shower, yet to find out if I can park my bike anywhere.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    We've got a major office move happening next week where over a 100 new staff are moving into this building. The car park is already over subscribed and cars are forced to park all around the business park where we're based.

Everyone is getting very worried about not having anywhere near by to park and how much of a nightmare it's going to be getting out of the estate (single entrance / exit) in the evening.

I ride a bike 8)

Back in the mid-90s when I worked in Sheffield city-centre staff who chose to drive had to pay £30/month for an outdoor car park which was 5-10 minutes walk from the office.

I parked my bike for free in the car park under the office with all the senior managers. From time-to-time a few people moaned to the management who basically told them to buy a bike. :D (No showers though, and they didn't like me working in my bike-gear. :( )

Unfortunately, from time-to-time, I get caught up in the gridlock that your work-chums cause as I pass through Ruddington heading north towards West Bridgford. Roll-on November when the company car goes and I can pick and choose the days I cycle.

Best regards
    Boardman CX Team
  • We've got a major office move happening next week where over a 100 new staff are moving into this building. The car park is already over subscribed and cars are forced to park all around the business park where we're based.

I ride a bike 8)
    Pride Park?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Remember to watch out for me cycling up the A60 when you're stuck in the traffic... generally the black Felt is in use most days
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Remember to watch out for me cycling up the A60 when you're stuck in the traffic... generally the black Felt is in use most days

I'm sure I passed you a few times when I was cutting through East Leake because of the works on the road junction in Kegworth a few weeks ago. I was driving a grey skoda estate with a roof-load of bike racks. :D Thats going and being replaced with a VW Transporter and the Boardman.

Cycling takes me the opposite way on the A60 through Nottingham city-centre. I should be commuting by bike all winter this year. At the moment I can only cycle one-way each day (the only way of ensuring the car is at work when I am). O did both ways a few weeks ago as a one off which was fine despite the 46 mile round trip. I'll probably will do it every-other day either 2 or 3 times a week.
    Boardman CX Team
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536

I ride a bike 8)
    Pride Park?
    Ruddington. I think I work around the corner having seen some of Kieran's vids.

Not always easy getting out even on the bike when it's gridlocked.
  • Kieran_Burns
    patrickf wrote:

I ride a bike 8)
    Pride Park?

Oddly, I did work next to Pride Park - just beyond Sainsburys but the office moved to Ruddington a few years back.

Peversely looking forward to tomorrow as I'll be back on the bike after a couple of weeks forced hiatus and I get to enjoy the ensuing mayhem.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • patrickf
    patrickf wrote:

I ride a bike 8)
    Pride Park?

Oddly, I did work next to Pride Park - just beyond Sainsburys but the office moved to Ruddington a few years back.

Peversely looking forward to tomorrow as I'll be back on the bike after a couple of weeks forced hiatus and I get to enjoy the ensuing mayhem.
    Be glad you don't commute through Nottingham. The tram works on university boulevard are starting to really become a nightmare. I'm going to have to go a different route once they start to move the road around.
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    I go down the University boulevard myself, they've even erected a little maze for us to go through too.. :?

It is complete mayhem there at the minute.
  • patrickf
    Oh I avoid the maze by staying on road. Unless by maze you mean weaving in/out of the traffic heading towards Beeston :)

The road opposite the University south entrance is going to be moved at some point. Basically the road hops towards one side and the team tracks do the same in the opposite direction. Lots of fun still to come. I just hope they do this next year when the weather is good enough to cycle every day.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to add: yup. It's a nightmare... if you aren't on a bike
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X