150mm £500

Sambuca
Sambuca Posts: 116
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Have had a quick search but wanted some up to date advice,
Best fork for £500 ? Probably 150mm, Building up an Orange Five for heavy trail and trips to Wales etc, not worried about weight but want stiff good damping forks.... Like the idea of 36s but don't want to mess the geo too much , cheers

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    spend the extra £100

35mm stanchions
    Great reviews
    Great damping

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rock ... prod109670
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo
    Best mid travel fork you will ever ride.
  • Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo
    Unless you're heavy like me, as a new spring costs a fortune.... and if you can find one new for less than £500 I'd be impressed.

Revelation RCT3 get my vote, don't rate fox forks at all.
  • ej2320
    Marzocchi 55 rc3 ti evo
    Unless you're heavy like me, as a new spring costs a fortune.... and if you can find one new for less than £500 I'd be impressed.

Revelation RCT3 get my vote, don't rate fox forks at all.

Revs are great, and Fox are very overpriced although I prefer their shocks

Personally I'd still get the new pike over the Rev, the thick stanchions and new technology has won me over
  • I do agree, but Pikes do weigh an extra 1/2lb over the Revs, and the 5 isn't exactly light lol!
    A 20mm maxle Rev would be ideal!
  • ej2320
    what size stanchions do the revs have?

good point, a five is bombproof but weighs the same a tank

I still don't understand why they put a 15mm on the Pikes, it was perfect 35mm stanchions very stiff but wait, they put 15mm not 20mm... still, my only gripe and 15mm works fine but the pike is supposed to be a stiff AM fork so 20mm makes sense...............
  • Revs are 32mm but I always found them plenty stiff enough!

I find that a tapered steerer makes more difference than 20mm, so maybe 15mm tapered is a compromise to shed a bit of weight.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    ej2320 wrote:
    what size stanchions do the revs have?

good point, a five is bombproof but weighs the same a tank

I still don't understand why they put a 15mm on the Pikes, it was perfect 35mm stanchions very stiff but wait, they put 15mm not 20mm... still, my only gripe and 15mm works fine but the pike is supposed to be a stiff AM fork so 20mm makes sense...............
    Rockshox claim the new pike is as stiff as the lyrik. If they can maintain that stiffness and reduce a little weight with a 15mm axle, then why not? Just because it has a 15mm axle rather than 20mm doesn't mean it'll be more flexy. That can be the case, but mostly because of the way the whole fork is engineered, the shape of the lowers etc. I think I'll trust the engineers at SRAM rather than internet armchair engineers.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ej2320
    I understand, but I just thought they wanted it to be a fork to end all forks, so why not go the full distance 35mm stanchions, tapered and 20mm axle
  • Probably because it would overlap the 160mm Lyric... you could argue why dont they do a 150mm Lyric!
  • ej2320
    true, but that could be said about shimano drivetrain, the Deore, SLX and XT sort have all merged to one now and literally identical.. XT just comes with the bragging rites of mines more expensive

The Lyric is a different fork to for someone who prefers springs but yea 150mm wouldn't go a miss
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I don't see why they're continuing to make the lyrik to be honest. If the pike is as stiff, has a similar amount of travel, a similar use and is a little lighter, cheaper and better performing, who is going to buy the lyrik?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ej2320
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I don't see why they're continuing to make the lyrik to be honest. If the pike is as stiff, has a similar amount of travel, a similar use and is a little lighter, cheaper and better performing, who is going to buy the lyrik?

Purists
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Pike looks like it should be good but hasn't had time to prove its reliability.
  • I was in a similar situation, i wanted an upgrade for my straight steerer revs. After looking at what was available (and refusing to spend fox money) I went for an x-fusion slant. It has a tapered steerer, 160 mm travel (i had mine reduced to 145), 34 mm stanchions, relatively light at just under 2kg and "only" cost £409. So far so good, they feel more plush than the revs they replaced but that may just be new vs old.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sambuca wrote:
    Have had a quick search but wanted some up to date advice,
    Best fork for £500 ? Probably 150mm, Building up an Orange Five for heavy trail and trips to Wales etc, not worried about weight but want stiff good damping forks.... Like the idea of 36s but don't want to mess the geo too much , cheers
    36, and space it down 10mm?
  • Sambuca
    Sambuca Posts: 116
    Someone's mentioned Marzocchi 55 CR as being amazingly supple and great value, I can only find them in 20mm axle and non tapered steerer so would mean new wheels, are they really worth the hassle?