£600 Budget - New HT or S/Hand FS?

croptonboy
croptonboy Posts: 164
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Ok, so I've finally badgered the missus into letting me spend some cash on a new MTB and my budget is around £600. I ride XC and will probably remain that way. Happy blatting around my local woods, and hoping to visit Swinley as it's quite local to me, to give the blue route a try out.

I'm certainly tempted by the Rockrider 8.1, but open to other suggestions. I've seen the Saracen Zen 1 on sale and it seems to get reasonable reviews. However, I'm wondering if it isn't worth going full sus, albeit second hand? I did previously have a 2010 Specialized FSR XC but unfortunately had to sell it not that long after buying it, so never really got to put it through its paces. Shame as I got a cracking deal on it, and probably let it go too cheap but needed the cash at the time.

Size wise, I'm 174cm with a 29.5" inside leg, and all my other bikes have been a small frame (Marins & Specialized) so presume I'll stick with that although I did notice Decathlon's size guide for the small was up to 168cm.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2013
    The Rockrider is more than enough for Swinley and similar. Couple of guys use them around a lot more scary stuff in SH and they cope well.
    Can't really suggest second hand as there are millions and depends what's available, when and where.
    By the way, the blue is probably faster overall than the red - the red is just longer.
    When you are ready have a look in London Calling in Rides, or the link in my sig as most people use Facebook. There's also a Swinley FB page, plenty of regular rides and a lot of off piste stuff which is more fun than the trail centre stuff IMO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • croptonboy
    Thanks cooldad. I joined the LC and Swinley FB groups yesterday and have had a quick look on there.

Just wondering what would be a good second hand FS within budget. Having been out of MTBing for a fair while, I'm not sure what brands to look out for.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Why not second hand hardtail? Would get something very light.
  • croptonboy
    True, open to suggestions for second hand hard tails as well then.

A friend suggested a Cube LTD or Acid, but I'm open to anything that may be suitable, or is the list endless?
  • cooldad
    Are you the small girl with a pink hairclip then?
    Some good riding near Farnborough, Caesars, Tunnel hill and all the MOD land.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • croptonboy
    That's me! That's why I need a small frame.

I've been riding around Minley and Yately woods so far, just to get myself back into it, but the bug has bitten me hard (not to mention the horseflies)
  • cooldad
    So much choice.
    Also worth a look - locals and mostly members of the FB pages. SS has a point - you could get a superb second hand HT for that.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/122344427940632/

Once you're sorted see you out there - or sounds like you have a bike, so no need to wait. Most of our rides are social pace while I do steam train impressions up the hills.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • croptonboy
    Thanks Paul. Always wanted the uni-forked Cannondale back in the day, and I know this isn't one, but always liked Cannondales

cooldad, thanks again for the FB link. I do indeed have a couple of bikes. Currently riding a 2005 Hardrock Sport which I bought to get me back into riding and get fit/loose weight. My nephew usually comes out riding with me, on my old 1998 Marin Eldridge Grade that's probably in better condition than the Specialized...