Prescription glasses when MTBing

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB general
hello

I was wondering if you use anything to keep them in place when riding. I have heard of a little strip you can tie round the back..?

I can't afford all there special Oakley ones haha

Thanks

Comments

• ej2320

alright I get your point... :roll:

I was just wondering what people use and if the straps are any good
  • Don't overthink it. Just go into your optician and ask for a sports strap. It will work.
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Get contacts, better field of vision, no comparison.

Wear good wraparounds to keep dirt out though :D
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Mine just stay put.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    go to an optician and get them to adjust your glasses - mine have never fallen off
    ej2320 wrote:
    hello

I was wondering if you use anything to keep them in place when riding. I have heard of a little strip you can tie round the back..?

I can't afford all there special Oakley ones haha

Thanks
  • ej2320
    they are fitted properly but I like mine loose ish otherwise it annoys me

I'll try without but have bought a strap cheap on ebay
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I had the same dilema and got a solution for less than 50 quid.. Took some work getting to that stage though. I was about to buy some sports glasses and lenses and cheapest around was 300ish and only one colour lens.

I made a thread on here and soneone suggested 'reglaze my glasses.com' or something similar. I bought a pair of Bloc glasses of Chain reaction for 29.99 in the sale. They come with 4 different colour lenses and an insert for prescription. I sent the insert to reglaze my glasses, the put some lenses in for 20ish.

Best purchase of 2013! The clarity is excellent and the bloc glasses are quality. I wasnt fond of contacts so just used my everyday glasses and was a pain. Not much coverage, stuff in my eyes etc etc.

Bloc Stealth
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... -prod28102
  • When I was at school my glasses were always slipping down when I did PE. My mum took me to the optician's and got me a sports strap. It just fitted onto the arms with little plastic loops. It wasn't anything fancy but it just worked. Gradually all the other four-eyed kids got them too.

Nowadays I tend to put my contacts in when riding but am seriously considering just getting prescription cycling glasses.
  • ej2320
    When I was at school my glasses were always slipping down when I did PE. My mum took me to the optician's and got me a sports strap. It just fitted onto the arms with little plastic loops. It wasn't anything fancy but it just worked. Gradually all the other four-eyed kids got them too.

Nowadays I tend to put my contacts in when riding but am seriously considering just getting prescription cycling glasses.

I just bought a strap, see how it goes

Know someone with some cycling glasses, highly recommend.. (if you can afford)
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    I would say a strap is one of the only options, that or multi-compound contact lenses, not many places in the UK can get them, are they're not really cheap, but they're damn good.
    A lot of the sports glasses can't really do prescription because of the curvature of the lenses, all goes wrong, so I'd personally go for the multi-compound lenses, I often use them, work a treat.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    See the main issue I have with glasses whilst riding is them steaming up, especially when it's wet. And on particularly wet rides when they just get covered in water/muck and I physically cannot see through them any more... It makes me more of a fair weather rider than I'd like to be...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • How dependant on your glasses are you? I can get away without mine as most of my eye issues are simply astigmatism as opposed to being long or short sighted.
  • Get a pair of ears. Mine keep my glasses on even when I go *rse over tit!