Has anyone ridden a Whyte Dorset/Suffolk?

SLondoner
SLondoner Posts: 3
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I'm looking to buy a new bike and am looking for something of a 'jack-of-all trades' - quick for road riding/hills, drop handlebars, but something that will be a good commuter bike and that (at a push) I could use for riding on towpaths, cycle-tracks with kids (although not proper off-roading). Looking to spend between £800 and £1,200

I've been recommended the new Whyte Dorset/Suffolk, but it's new for 2014 so I can't find any full reviews (just articles about the launch). Does anyone have any experience/views?

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product. ... 6&xSec=121

The other options I've been looking at are either more road-y like the Trek Domane 2.0, or Specialized Roubaix or a cyclo cross bike like the Cannondale CAADX.

Comments

• Assuming the answer is that no-one has ridden one, does anyone have any views on the new Whyte road bikes based on the spec/pictures?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for the question, but I don't think it really fits in to the MTB/commuting forums either. Any advice gratefully received...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    A disc-commuter bike done right.
    White rear disc mounts are tucked away nicely for rack/mudguard integration. The hydraulic brake solves the issue of water ingress into the rear brake cable.
    Post mounts just seem to have less stuff about them so are light and efficient.
  • Bought the Dorset this morning and done about 12 miles on it already. I use a Carrera for my short commute etc. and wanted something a little more 'able' to get some distance/pleasure from.

The reason I mention this is because I know the Carrera is 12kg. The Dorset is noticeably lighter so guessing about 10 to 10.5kg. The gears, brakes, feel, is spot-on so far and a special shout for the lack of vibration coming up the forks (carbon don't you know?)... very smooth ride in comparison.

The LBS had a right game getting the guards on over the disc brakes but I like the fact it comes with 700/28c tyres. Very quick rolling but remember what I am comparing to - and obviously not yet sure how p****ure resistant they are or hard wearing.

Early doors but neutral handling at low speed and smooth as silk when motoring along (road only so far).

Bear in mind I commuted for years on an mtb but well worth the £950 I paid (I hope).
  • The LBS had a right game getting the guards on over the disc brakes but I like the fact it comes with 700/28c tyres. Very quick rolling but remember what I am comparing to - and obviously not yet sure how p****ure resistant they are or hard wearing.

They have specific mudguards coming out but they'll be about 6 weeks yet. Fitted a set of SKS ones pretty easily with no guddles here though. It runs really nice, changed tyres to wider Conti Speeds though.
  • Can any owners give an update to the Whyte Dorset Please? thanks
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    Bought the Dorset this morning and done about 12 miles on it already. I use a Carrera for my short commute etc. and wanted something a little more 'able' to get some distance/pleasure from.

The reason I mention this is because I know the Carrera is 12kg. The Dorset is noticeably lighter so guessing about 10 to 10.5kg. The gears, brakes, feel, is spot-on so far and a special shout for the lack of vibration coming up the forks (carbon don't you know?)... very smooth ride in comparison.

The LBS had a right game getting the guards on over the disc brakes but I like the fact it comes with 700/28c tyres. Very quick rolling but remember what I am comparing to - and obviously not yet sure how p****ure resistant they are or hard wearing.

Early doors but neutral handling at low speed and smooth as silk when motoring along (road only so far).

Bear in mind I commuted for years on an mtb but well worth the £950 I paid (I hope).

Hi - I'm considering buying one of these and just wondered how you were finding it please after nearly 6 months of use?