I'm such a doughnut!

kennywilde
kennywilde Posts: 54
edited August 2013 in Commuting chat
After months of fixing, researching and searching on bikes and deciding which to get, I go and make a bit of mess of it! Got a hybrid on the Ride to Work scheme last week http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... e-ec029991

Test rode 2, just around the block. Must admit that I loved the look of the Charge and the fact it had disc brakes. The handlebars were as wide as Watford Gap so got them cut down, no probs.

I budgeted on my voucher for gatorskins and a computer, neither of which I could get! Idioit mistake 1. So had about£70 worth of extra accessories to buy! Budgeted for helmet, lock etc also.

Now I noticed my feet catching on the back of the frame when pedalling, I'm a size 10 so a size9 and under and you'll be ok. slightly annoying! idiot mistake 2

Cutting the handlebars down means I can't exchange, idiot mistake 3

My wife aint all best pleased that I spent all that money and had to buy pointless accessories!

What to do oh what to do..........

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Mistake 1 was getting a hybrid....So dont worry about the rest of the issues - you'll soon want a road bike. :roll:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Hahaha I thought that would be my get out clause, Only thing is I have to wait years for the bike to die!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,356
    Buy a new set of the right bars and then exchange the bike?
  • Well, quite right. You made the basic error of so many before you, but at least you realise this.

Quick google-fu shows that this may be a sticking-plaster fix for your pedal problem:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec037162
  • The pedal extender things look like the easiest/cheapest option.

Do you know any charge component stockists for the handlebars?

Cheers Guys
  • rubertoe
    Google doesn't come up with anything for the handlebars - might be worth contacting Charge Directly
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Charge bars are available at many retailers but the 'shield' bars i've never ever seen tbh,
    my experience contacting Charge was awful hope you have better luck!

EDIT - shame its a hybrid, looks lovely otherwise! 8)
  • bushu wrote:
    Charge bars are available at many retailers but the 'shield' bars i've never ever seen tbh,
    my experience contacting Charge was awful hope you have better luck!

EDIT - shame its a hybrid, looks lovely otherwise! 8)

I've gone and put guards on, criminal on a bike like that! I'll email them and se what they say
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    Would clipless pedals and suitable shoes not solve your problem?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Charge don't sell spares that are specific to their bikes. When my scourer was mashed I tried to get some forks as a replacement but found out from them they don't supply, so you won't be able to get the bars.

It is a good bike though, I liked mine for commuting and did do longer rides as well (80km was the longest on it). You will end up changing a few things though. The disc brakes are not great and the tyres supplied won't stand up to commuting! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • menthel wrote:
    Charge don't sell spares that are specific to their bikes. When my scourer was mashed I tried to get some forks as a replacement but found out from them they don't supply, so you won't be able to get the bars.

It is a good bike though, I liked mine for commuting and did do longer rides as well (80km was the longest on it). You will end up changing a few things though. The disc brakes are not great and the tyres supplied won't stand up to commuting! ;)

Buggered that idea up then! I'm going to put some Gatorskins or similar when I get a flat!
  • MOARspeed wrote:

excuse my ignorance but what are clipless pedals?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    kennywilde wrote:
    MOARspeed wrote:

excuse my ignorance but what are clipless pedals?

Well... they're like pedals, right. But... without clips.

(it refers to toe-clips, they use cleats on the shoes to 'clip' into the pedals with no visible method of doing so - hence: clipless)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rubertoe
    I never really understand why they are called clipless, clearly you clip into them....

• rubertoe wrote:
    I never really understand why they are called clipless, clearly you clip into them....

Agreed, one of the dumbest "product" names ever.... Hence I only call them SPDs
  • So they're cleats then? I'm not to keen on getting them, when i'm in the Tour de France next year maybe