Ride from Manchester to Nottingham

naylor182
naylor182 Posts: 2
Hi all

Two friends and I are planning a ride from Manchester to Nottingham (around 70 miles through the Peak District). Does anyone have any recommended routes to take? Or anywhere good to stop (preferably in the Peaks) for lunch?

Thanks in advance. Also, apologies if this post is in the incorrect subforum; first post, and all...

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Cant recomend a route but Elliotts in Hathersage is pretty good
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    NCN 68 to Buxton, then NCN route 54 (Pennine Bridleway) to Cromford, along Cromford Canal to Ambergate.
    Down the A6 (flatter) or the backroads (hillier) to Derby, rejoin NCN 54 at Little Eaton then either:
    - NCN 6 along the River Derwent to Nottingham (big pump track on the way at Alvaston Park :mrgreen: ) or
    - Follow NCN 54 around Derby to Markeaton, Mickleover, Sinfin (don't leave anything shiny unattended) to Swarkestone then follow the Trent and Mersey Canal into Nottingham.

The only bits I've ridden recently are:
    - The bit along the Derwent - It's OK but can get quite busy with walkers. Typical urban cycle route.
    - The bit around Derby to Swarkesone. Quite difficult to follow, you'll probably need a GPS with it on a map to follow it exactly.

I rode the bit from Swarkestone to Cehllaston a long time ago. From memory it was grassy and might be hard going if you're loaded with with kit, but you can cut out that bit and go down the yellow road on the OS map.
  • The A6 is an obvious direct route but I wouldnt fancy most of it on a weekday
    On Sundays its OK ish from Buxton to Matlock/Cromford though

Id say the limiting factor would be which direction are you hoping to leave Manchester and where do you need to be in Nottingham? A decent route on quiet lanes should be possible if you dont mind a few extra km's