Very Budget wheels

DannyJames
DannyJames Posts: 76
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Just wondering if anyone knows if Shimano R501 would be a straight swap with the wheels on my Triban 3? I they might be a good budget upgrade reading reviews, There the same size and accept a 8 speed rear cassette so thinking its all good?

The triban 3 wheels are are not great, The front is rumbling a bit already despite cleaning all the bearings and re greasing etc and i have a Decathlon mountain bike which benefited from a set of Shimano wheels (MT65). I know people like to spend a good chunk on wheels but since I'm a newbie and skint the 501's can be had for £70 and it free's me up a spare rear wheel for the turbo trainer which is currently raping my back tyre :shock:

Cheers

:D

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Quite heavy wheels the Shimano look at PX AL30 Model B's or C's(C's have a higher spoke count) are good for £150 approx 1650gm without skewers, they are the wheels I have had for a year or so running fine.
    Edit: They are 8/9 & 10 speed compatible.
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    The Shimano R501 are absolutely fine for the money. They are robust and mine are still true after 2000 miles of the worst weather last winter. For £70 they are perfectly functional, although not the lightest.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Ebay is your friend. I got some really nice used Ultegra wheels for 110 last year.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Htron wrote:
    The Shimano R501 are absolutely fine for the money. They are robust and mine are still true after 2000 miles of the worst weather last winter. For £70 they are perfectly functional, although not the lightest.
    Have to agree for £70 that's a good deal if you're not bothered about weight. :)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Anything under £100 and they are effectively disposable, worth a punt, you may get years of good use out of them.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    diamonddog wrote:
    Htron wrote:
    Have to agree for £70 that's a good deal if you're not bothered about weight. :)

I got mine for £63 when Ribble were doing 10% off everything! Winter wheels, so the weight isn't an issue. I like cup and cone bearings for ease of servicing, and the extra spokes are a bit of pothole insurance.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    I got about 5000 miles out of R501s before the rims wore out. I had a few rear spoke issues as I'm a heavy rider (>100 kg). I liked them, go for it I'd say :)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Havent exactly been a fan of Wiggle's prices over the last 3 or 4 years - however, give them their due - RS11 front wheels - £ 36

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs11-cl ... ont-wheel/

I think I'll buy 27 of them :mrgreen:
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    They are 1900g, not exactly heavy, light in fact for £70 quid. I'm pretty sure you won't see the difference in ride between a 1900 and 1700 g wheel set.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I use 501,s on my defy4 and they have been great.They were an improvement on the defy wheels and mine are the 30mm one,s.They also weigh less than the defy 4 wheels at 1900g ish.At the price they are a bargain.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Bomber wheels.

Rode my current pair through a monster pothole over the winter. It was my mistake - had to make split second choice between cycle through puddle or go out into road .. made wrong choice as puddle was actually a hidden pothole with an evil edge to it. Got instant double snake bit puncture - dented the rear rim. But both wheels still running good and true.

Over 5000 miles on em so far this year .. probably a couple of thousand last year.

Love em. Looking to replace the front soonish as the rim is wearing out - may go for bladed spokes this time.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Thanks for all the advice sounds like my sort of wheel :D
  • hmm
    hmm Posts: 39
    djm501 wrote:
    I got about 5000 miles out of R501s before the rims wore out. I had a few rear spoke issues as I'm a heavy rider (>100 kg). I liked them, go for it I'd say :)
    What spoke count should I be looking for as I'm also [ahem] slightly heavier than I should be at ~95kgs? I too have a Triban 3 and am looking for a wheel upgrade. The Shimano's are looking like a contender but I just need to know about how many spokes I should be going for.
    Thanks.
    Triban 3 - very red
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/780620

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.”
    Henry Ford
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    32 spoke minimum, but any amount of spokes will fail if the wheel is poorly built.
    Yellow is the new Black.