First ride

dav1d1
dav1d1 Posts: 653
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
So yesterday I went on my first proper ride on my bike

http://www.strava.com/activities/75722130

I don't think that's too bad 26km for first ride, quite surprised myself, and with the 1 cat 3 climb and 3 cat 4 climbs,m
I kind of got lost as following the Garmin 500 and it kept saying off course even when I knew I was on it so just decide to ride a shorter route a few times, and I really enjoyed it, see, other cyclist out and saying hi and having a littl chat. And can't wait to get back out on it today and tomorrow. Just think I now need to get more confident in the drops when deceneding

Bad points:lower back started to hurt after a few km now i think this is mostly just down to riding is new and just getting used to it but also when using the hoods my hands started to hurt after a little while also, but have set my bike up to best I can reading topics on here,

Comments

• Robin_D
    Robin_D Posts: 38
    I'm a few weeks in and the pain in the lower back is starting to go, the saddle soreness has gone but once I'm off it does let me know it's there.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You're cadence is extremely low. Consider shifting down a gear or two so that you can spin. Good job on the ride.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tiglon84
    tiglon84 Posts: 33
    Robin_D wrote:
    I'm a few weeks in and the pain in the lower back is starting to go, the saddle soreness has gone but once I'm off it does let me know it's there.

Same here. Saddle, back and hand pain was really bad for my first couple of rides, 3 weeks and a few long rides later and it's well within tolerable levels. Just persevere.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    If your stem is pointing downwards try taking it off and flipping it over so it points upwards while you get used to the bike as it will mean you stretch less and may help your back.

Keep at it though and your body will adapt to the bike and get used to the new ways you are bending it.
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for all the replies, i rode it again yesterday and this is the strava

http://www.strava.com/activities/76356044

I think its getting better as i stopped few times to make little adjustments to the saddle, also can i join the clipless club, as was going up and hill and my legs were burning up tried changing to a lower gear and because i was not pedaling enough chain could not change and and gravity got the better of me and unable to unclip in time and off i went, :D

Also when climbing hills should i be in smallest ring at the front and biggest ring at the back? as it just seems hard when riding up the hills,
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Also when climbing hills should i be in smallest ring at the front and biggest ring at the back? as it just seems hard when riding up the hills,

Yes. As I said earlier you need to work on raising your cadence which means pedaling faster in smaller gears. This will save your legs as higher cadence taxes the cardiovascular system as opposed to your muscles.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • dav1d1
    yes i thought i should be guess just need to get my legs used to it, and it was a 15% gradient thanks for the help
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    yes i thought i should be guess just need to get my legs used to it, and it was a 15% gradient thanks for the help
    15% gradient is quite a slope ... my legs start complaining when it goes above 10% so you're doing just fine! :)