Bottom Bracket Click

Daerve
Daerve Posts: 33
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I have a Boardman Team Hybrid that has developed an annoying click on the downstroke of the right hand crank.

I checked the BB and there was a tiny bit of play so I tightened it up a tad but the click is still there. Does this mean the BB is goosed (it's done over 2k in all weathers) and if so what should I replace it with?

The original is an FSA Mega Exo according to the website.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Goosed, that's what happens when they use cottage cheese balls in the bearings (well known issue on the Boardmans with the FSA).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daerve
    Oh well, I had hoped it was something else because it's more of a creak now than a click. I've tried all sorts but simply can't eliminate the noise unless I pedal standing up or only on the none drive side.

Would the bearings still be goosed if there's no play and could it possibly be anything else before I shell out.

Also any suggestions for replacement?

Lots of questions I know but my experience with BB's is very limited indeed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Daerve wrote:
    Would the bearings still be goosed if there's no play and could it possibly be anything else before I shell out.
    Yes......

Not up on the FSA BB's, but I'm sure Hope will make some and theirs for Shimano HT2 have a great rep.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daerve
    Thanks for the replies folks.

Just to be sure I've stripped the bike and regreased all the bearings, tightened the pedals, chainrings and cleaned it and hey presto, creak has gone.

Not sure if it'll return but it's fine for now.

As expected the bearings on the BB were very dry indeed so I repacked them with grease and refitted.