2nd hand frame

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Hi

I want to build a bike and obviously the most important part is the frame. I have no issue buying parts 2nd hand however I was wondering about the frame. I know most companies warrenty is only for the original owner so I was wondering what your thoughts are on this... Should I buy 2nd hand or new from LBS?

Comments

• snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    It depends, can you potentially lose the money and be fine with that?

I bought a second hand Kula frame last year, built it up as a SS and now it's cracked.*

Luckily it was only £100, and I've done a lot of miles on it, so I can say I've had my monies worth out of it.

I'd be pissed off it £200+ though.

* broke by my awesome singlespeeding torque obviously. ;)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've cracked a few second hand frames, but I've never paid more than about £400 for a frame VS £1000+ for something new, so it' just something you have to live with. I'd buy something brand new if I could afford it, but I can't.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loads of decent cheap competent frames. The forks are the biggest expense and arguably more important.
    But without knowing what type of frame.....
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I would be looking at an expensive frame

An expensive Santa Cruz or Pivot or something similar so it would still be £900+ 2nd hand

I would want the warrenty and LBS support but I could save a lot of money, however if the frame broke and it wasn't under warrenty I would be gutted
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    In that case, I'd probably try and save the money to buy it new.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or get a Titus which costs less new than many other do used!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a 2001 Heckler I got second hand - its still going strong after 4-5 years in my company - if I was spending 900 quid I'd want to go have a look over it before parting with money but I'd still be tempted if size and so on was what I wanted.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I'd get the 2nd hand frame