Pins and needles in feet

LancsRick
LancsRick Posts: 25
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
I've been playing around with my bike setup to get it "just so", and I think I'm about there but have one final query.

After even a short ride, I noticed pins and needles in the front half of my foot, roughly from the ball forwards. I've recently raised my saddle about an inch, but my full leg extension is now correct (it's now just short of lockout, whereas before I still had a pronounced bend). Is this difference just because I'm now pushing on each leg straighter, and something I'll adapt to in time? Or is it a sign of a problem?

Cheers!

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Check your cleat position they might need moving back or forwards a bit and do not over tighten your shoes. :)
  • Not using cleats, sorry I should have said. Wearing running shoes (I'm a bit flat footed), moderately tight.

I presume from the cleat comment that my foot position could be the issue? Currently, at the furthest point I'm pushing the peddle with the ball of my foot, is that an issue?

Thanks for the help :)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The issue is that you're riding flat in running shoes. There's not enough support and your arch will collapse a well as stress your metatarsals. Get real cycling shoes with proper footbeds and clip-ins.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    Shoes to tight? I get this if my laces are even a smidge to tight.
  • Grill wrote:
    The issue is that you're riding flat in running shoes. There's not enough support and your arch will collapse a well as stress your metatarsals. Get real cycling shoes with proper footbeds and clip-ins.

Thanks Grill. I haven't really done any reading about shoes etc yet, so I'm a total novice. Any recommended reading on these boards?

I presume I'll have to change pedals as well?