On One Inbred 29er

Becker
Becker Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I've just started my very first build. I have an On-One Inbred 29er, Rockshox Reba RLT forks and other FSA components. It's time to choose a crankset, bottom bracket.

I love the idea of having a single speed so does anyone have any recommendations for a good crankset and a freewheel that will go well with my frame. Also 10 speed recommendations.

The frame manufacturer states this is standard gears only, so I'm looking for advice on if I can convert this to single speed if possible.

Many thanks...

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can go single speed using a conversion kit, both on a conventional freehub and with atensioner, this makes going geared if you want to later very easy.

Crankset, Shimano SLX.

Freewheel, hopefully not at all, but a wheelset that has a freehub to take a cassette or SS conversion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    They do make a slot drop out version of that frame if you have't already bought a geared version?

SLX is a good choice of chainset, if you buy new the Bottom bracket will be included, there are some good deals about the place on the old LX hollowtech 2 chainsets too, and they are perfectly decent.

If you want a single speed specific rear wheel you could be using a freewheel, some of the older DMR revolver hubs about the place have screw on fitting and allow you to have a non-dished rear wheel which is stronger. Alternatively Superstar components make a new style single speed hub and will sell you a wheelset direct.

If you are going to get a normal freehub body style rear hub you'll need a convertor kit with spacers.

Also think about what gear you want to run, which will be governed by the terrain, your tyre choice, how far you want to ride and how fit you are.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Becker
    Becker Posts: 3
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Greatly appreciated!!