which bike??

james51174
james51174 Posts: 24
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys...after much pondering I am thinking of financing a mtb

with finance i suppose any price up to about 4k is ok with me, but i dont want to buy something really expensive if i dont need it, and end up the guy with 'all the gear, but no idea' lol

so im here for advice

my needs/uses

-commuting (mainly off road cycle tracks)...although i can use my current bike for this

-xc tracks
-DH at a track i know (plus the downhill track at my mother in laws town in aonach mor fort william)
-general jumps down the woods etc

Now I realise this is a pretty broad spectrum of uses, so i am looking for an all rounder bike

I have always had a thung for cannondale, and the trigger carbon looks like what i am looking for but it is quite pricey and as said, i dont want to look like a prick on a bike thats out of my league...so any advice would be brilliant

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Split the budget and get two bikes?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    Split the budget and get two bikes?
    This++

There's no way you'll get a DH bike that will be pleasant for communting. That's like asking for a motorcycle that can also be used to tow static caravans.

4K is a hell of a lot, why not get a cheap communtery thing for rougly £500, and also get one hell of a mountain bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How far is the commute, my neighbour cycles in on an 8" travel Norco, but only 1.5 miles!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • its about 5 miles...nothing far at all

i am currently looking at a yeti 575 carbon triangle, and a mountain cycle fury???

both get good reviews, but there are issues with the triangle on the yeti breaking under heavy use...the mountain cycle doesnt seem to have any faults apart from i am not taken with its looks :(