Fitness and commuting

dmitch1987
dmitch1987 Posts: 22
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
Hi guys new here and decided after not riding at all in 5 years (used to MTB in forrest of dean) that id get back on a bike and try to help improve my fitness (slipped a fair amount over the last 5 years)

Got myself a hybrid Boardman comp on the cycle to work scheme and intend on hammering in the miles over the next few years.

I am looking for some advise on tracking my progress as i have a few routes that id like to GPS track using Strava or endo) however my gps signal seems to be all over the shop i did around a 10 mile quick ride today and strava thought id just managed 36! I am using the app on my HTC i know i could just look at the time i leave and the time i get back and compare but its nice to just see the proper stats and have it all catalogued.

Any help with this? i was considering getting a cheap GPS tracker and manually uploading to Strava do you have any tips / buying advise for me?

Also im in Bristol so any good rides you can recommend ( want to build myself up to be able to ride in one of the big rides next summer)

Cheers in advance and HELLO!!

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Hello. Garmin Edge 200 would do the job.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    My brother got me an Ultrasport Navrun 500 GPS and heartrate watch for my 40th birthday. He said it was good value and it is a lot quicker to acquire a fix than my HTC desire.

14-hour battery life with GPS on and USB charging/data downloading.

It comes with its own software, which can export to gpx files, and once the watch language is set to English, from the default of German, it is pretty straightforward to use.
  • I use cyclemeter on the iPhone. Not sure if they do one for HTC but if they do it's well worth the couple of quid they charge. It gives you updates on route telling you how you are doing compared to your other logged rides when i hear it tell me im 5 seconds behind my best, it pushes me on a bit I've been commuting regularly now for about 2.5 years and have dropped 5 stone. I used to dread they cycle in at 5.30am but now I love it.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I got an HTC One S to replace the HTC Incredible S recently and the GPS is shocking so I've taken to using my eTrex to log rides. However, I've a suspicion that it could be related to transmission on the cellular network so you could try putting the phone into aeroplane mode before going for your ride - it could save you some money. However, if you're looking for an excuse for a new toy, feel free to ignore me!

_
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    Turn your wifi off when using it. Some phones use a wifi's location as part of their location services.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Got a Smartphone?

Plenty of GPS tracking apps, Strava, RunKeeper, Endomondo
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    dmitch1987 wrote:
    Hi guys new here and decided after not riding at all in 5 years (used to MTB in forrest of dean) that id get back on a bike and try to help improve my fitness (slipped a fair amount over the last 5 years)

Got myself a hybrid Boardman comp on the cycle to work scheme and intend on hammering in the miles over the next few years.

I am looking for some advise on tracking my progress as i have a few routes that id like to GPS track using Strava or endo) however my gps signal seems to be all over the shop i did around a 10 mile quick ride today and strava thought id just managed 36! I am using the app on my HTC i know i could just look at the time i leave and the time i get back and compare but its nice to just see the proper stats and have it all catalogued.

Any help with this? i was considering getting a cheap GPS tracker and manually uploading to Strava do you have any tips / buying advise for me?

Also im in Bristol so any good rides you can recommend ( want to build myself up to be able to ride in one of the big rides next summer)

Cheers in advance and HELLO!!

Where do you store the phone when tracking your ride?

I have used a Garmin Edge 205 and my iPhone for GPS tracking, and the Garmin placed out on the bars gets very good GPS coverage, the iPhone varies on where it's kept. In my pocket wasn't great, in a pouch on the rucksack straps was pretty good and then stashed in the top of my rucksack was probably best, though least convenient.

You can pickup the Garmin Edge 200 for <£100 from Halfords, Wiggle etc. and it will be better than the phone solution, but if you don't want to spend the extra have a play with positioning the phone. Maybe consider a Topeak Drybag that will clip to the handlebars with your phone in (if your brave!).

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The results depend on the device and it's ability to place itself using GPS, my Samsung Galaxy S3 is better than the S2 that was replaced (phone reasons) and both are in a different league to my old HTC Trophy, that often would miss the first 1/2 mile of a ride while it sorted itself out, once it took nearly 4 miles!

I ride with my S3 in my pocket and it's very accurate, track overlays on group rides very well with mates using high end Garmins.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    Phones are crap for mapping GPS and you will be much better off with a Garmin Edge 200 like somebody else suggested. This will be able to maintain a more accurate GPS signal than your phone.

The other advantage of a Garmin device is you can upload to Garmin Connect which offers much better ways of tracking your rides than Strava unless you are interested in going fast over very short sections.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    So your thread is nothing to do with fitness but tracking your route instead. You need to change the title.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    Phones are crap for mapping GPS and you will be much better off with a Garmin Edge 200 like somebody else suggested. This will be able to maintain a more accurate GPS signal than your phone.
    Very adult and mature post, which phones have you assesed?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sazzaa
    sazzaa Posts: 17
    My phone GPS works great! (HTC One, usually in my bag or a pocket)
  • Lots of options around.

I use a Suunto Quest watch with a GPS pod. The watch just straps onto a cheap handlebar mount and the GPS can be on an arm strap, in your back pocket, etc.

Also pairs with an HRM if it's fitness you want to monitor.

All info uploads to Suunto's Movescount site, giving you an accurate map of your route and loads of graphs, stats, etc.

Works well for me.

I use the same set-up for running.

Quite a nice watch for everyday use as well.