marzocchi bombers help

james51174
james51174 Posts: 24
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys....new here

I am returning to biking after around 15 years and need a little help identifying some second hand forks

Can anyone tell me if these are genuine marzocchi bomer 66's????

I have searched the net for pictures and cant find any that look like these???

any help would be great, as i dont want to buy copies, or lower grade bombers that are being sold as bombers 66

thanks in advance :(

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Yep, they look like 66s, but a low spec version. Any reason in particular you're after them?
  • hi...thank you for your reply :)

i was acyually searching for marzocchi corsa's on ebay and found these...mainly because of the colour tbh....and they are in my price range...plus i had them new on a bike years ago....are low spec 66s no good then??

as second hand forks, would they be prced right at £100-125????
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Low spec 66s are fine, but they lack most of the external adjustability, and may well have a heavy steel steerer.
    By the way, a Marzocchi 66 is an entirely different beast to a Corsa, intended for very different bikes, and riding styles. One is essentially a long travel, single-crown DH fork, the other is a lightweight XC fork.

What exactly are you intending to ride, and what are you intending to put them on?
  • this is my dialema...i ride to and from work (off road tracks) ...but i also do a bit of everything in my spare time...it does include riding downhill (for fun) with a little bit of jumping etc...but nothing serious....in all honesty i am looking for an all rounder fork

i was looking at the xc forks because thats mainly what i will be riding.....but as said...i will be having fun also

the bike i have is a very very cheap and heavy diamondback..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diamondback-Ove ... ntain+bike

i bought it to get back into mtb'ing with intention to get something better when i have much more money, and am fitter lol

but as it is i am changing virtually everything on the bike becuse its all naff!!!

at this stage im looking at forks because the standard suntour forks are abslute junk!!!!

from memorey marzocchi forks were prety good, which is why i chose to look them up

in all honesty though i dont even know if the disc brakes on my diamondback will fit the bombers..are all callipers able to fit all disc brake compatible forks???.if you know anything about this matter that would also be much apreciated
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yeah, the 66, will NEVER work on that bike. Ever. Forget about it. It would be like sticking a Motocross fork on a kid's scooter, just... dumb.

The problem with your situation, is that a bike that will rip up DH tracks, will not be fun whilst riding to work, and vice versa. So, I'd suggest keeping the diamondback for communting duties, and saving up for a trail bike, for the dirty duties.
  • point taken...thanks for the help.....shall i go back to the corsa idea??
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, the corsa would be ok, but there may be better options - I'm not up on Marzocchi's current range.
    May I suggest you change the thread title (or start another thread) with something along the lines of "fork choice advice"?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some older Manitou Blacks, 120mm with silver lowers, very very reliable, fairly light (about 1.7kg) and will do the work route fine and they cope with trail centre downhill sections just fine - they won't do Downhill though! ;-)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks for the advice guys....i will start another thread once i see what options are available second hand, and go from there....

...although last night i found out that my buddy is selling a hardly used cannondale trigger carbon 1 for £2K....i may try and get him down on price....i guess thats a pretty dood price considering how much they are new!!

loads of great help on here :)