Thoughts on the fulcrum racing zero for flat roads?

iamnoone
iamnoone Posts: 19
edited August 2013 in Road general
anyone who rides a racing zero please help me, how does it ride. I mostly ride in flat terrains and some of my buddies are riding zeros, I want to buy a new set of hoops and I'm confused between getting the zeros or getting some deeper and more aerodynamic wheels such as the corima aero or the ffwd f6r. I don't do any/little climbing so which one would be a better deal? fulcrum racing zeros or a deeper set of wheels? and what are good deep wheel sets besides corima aero and ffwd f6r?

Thanks

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Reynolds Forty-Six are the bomb or the Assault if you're on a budget.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • iamnoone
    iamnoone Posts: 19
    I've read that the assault's hubs are not that smooth and that the front wheel has a bit of flex, is that true because i'm a sprinter and I value stiffness
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The factory Reynolds hubs are really nice. I was going to change the ones on my Attacks to Tune, but honestly there's no reason. The Assaults don't appear to have much flex if any, the Attacks certainly don't and neither does the FortySix.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    iamnoone wrote:
    anyone who rides a racing zero please help me, how does it ride. I mostly ride in flat terrains and some of my buddies are riding zeros, I want to buy a new set of hoops and I'm confused between getting the zeros or getting some deeper and more aerodynamic wheels such as the corima aero or the ffwd f6r. I don't do any/little climbing so which one would be a better deal? fulcrum racing zeros or a deeper set of wheels? and what are good deep wheel sets besides corima aero and ffwd f6r?

Thanks

Deep section or climbing wheels for flat riding and sprinting - what do YOU think? :roll:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    Save yourself some cash and get the Racing 1s, I have the Zero's and they are excellent all round wheels, strong, durable etc etc. However the reason I say get the 1s is that the Zeros have USB hubs, I have had my wheels less than a year and the ceramic bearings wore a rut in the standard steel cone, if they had full cult, where the cups and cones are extra hardened steel then it would be fine.

I had racing 3s before the Zeros and I actually found they ran smoother than the USB hubs because they use standard steel bearings, which are absolutely fine, ceramic bearings are a gimick and not worth it.

Best option, if you like the bling of the carbon hub body on the Zeros, get the Zeros and get the bearings changed to standard steel bearings, just my opinion and based on experience, I am in the process of changing to steel bearings once my new cones arrive.
  • I have had a set of racing zeros for about a year now and am very happy with them. I do most of my riding in the Peak District so I got them because most of the time I'm going uphill. They are very stiff but still manage to avoid giving a harsh ride. I've not had any problems with the ceramic hubs and the rolling resistance is significantly less than my racing 5s. When riding in a group the improved performance is noticeable when freewheeling.

Despite this I don't think high end, non aero, alloy wheels are that great value for money, overall performance gains are pretty small. Not sure why you would would want a wheel of this type for riding on the flat.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    FFWD's are epic.