Buying a bike in North America

dhooper7
dhooper7 Posts: 156
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Let's not beat around the bush. We are being extorted over here for bike prices.
Here's two examples I've come across this evening...
Santa Cruz Nomad R AM
UK - £3600
US - £2100
Santa Cruz V10 Carbon frame
UK - £3400
US - £2240

So, my question is this... Should I go to north America next summer and come home with a bike?
Take some piece of sh** out with me and come back with a beaut.

If I ride while I'm there then it won't look brand new... Nothing customs could say.

Anyone got thoughts on this or done it before?
2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't forget the 20% VAT plus import tax (15% from memory) on entry and the loss of warranty.....Should you, nope.

It's predominantly the taxes which account for the difference, sales tax in most US states is circa 6-7%, although do the paperwork properly and you would be able to reclaim that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    I went to California this summer and was chatting to a guy who owned a bike shop there.

He said loads of people take them back home. He said one way in which people get round paying the VAT when bringing it home was to use it in the states for a couple of days before packing it. This apparently then makes it 'used' and exempt from VAT.

Not sure if this truly works but maybe worth looking into.

He said one guy didn't even do that, just asked him to fit worn tyres on to a new road bike. Thought that was genius.

Couldn't believe how much cheaper they were, especially American brands like Giant, Santa Cruz and Scott; were the same in dollars as we pay in pounds.

Strangely parts and things like spd shoes didn't seem any cheaper than online prices over here tho.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    riche0 wrote:
    I went to California this summer and was chatting to a guy who owned a bike shop there.

He said loads of people take them back home. He said one way in which people get round paying the VAT when bringing it home was to use it in the states for a couple of days before packing it. This apparently then makes it 'used' and exempt from VAT.

Not sure if this truly works but maybe worth looking into.

Was told that too in a shop in Mammoth Lakes a couple of years ago. Pretty sure it doesn't work like that though (legally). May be wrong but I believe you have to have owned something for a minimum period (at least a few months) for it to be considered 'used'.

The warranty issue would put me right off above all else (assuming you didn't declare it and avoided paying the relevant taxes and duties). Stumping up a couple of hundred quid, each way most likely, to have SC US take a look at it would take the shine off the initial price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think you should do it, then you could start a CC thread on your new prison relationship with Bubba.

More seriously, I would suggest a public forum is not the best place to offer law breaking advice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools