Buying a bike from bike park

saski
saski Posts: 3
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hello, I'm new here, looking for a piece of advice. I'd like to buy a used Trek Slash but the only place I can get it is from a bike park after the season ends. It's one season old, I would get the original warranty (3 years for the frame). What I'm not sure is whether the frame is still ok after 1 year of BP abuse. Is the material somehow "tired"? Please help me to decide, it's quite a bit of money :)

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's more the components I'd be worried about to be honest. The frame would probably be okay, as a lot of people aren't necessarily the best riders, which can mean that the frame won't get too much abuse, but the components can get trashed from crashing, dragging brakes, dinging rims, etc etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't see it being an issue as long as it's had a decent service, frame and forks are the two things to check thoroughly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hire bikes get a hard life. Lots of badly landed jumps and crashes.
    The Slash has issues with seat stays snapping so I wouldn't buy any used Slash.
  • saski
    saski Posts: 3
    I heard about Scratch having bad chainstays, but never Slash (at least not on internet). I'm going to test it next week to see how it rides and see the condition of the components.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Most of Treks full sus frames have had issues with seat stays breaking. I know of a couple Slash's which have broken. I think the latest frames have been changed