Anyone around south shields newcastle?

mallorcajeff
mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
edited August 2013 in Road general
Evening all.
Im staying in south shields from next week onwards for three weeks on a trainng course. Im stsying south shields in a b&b. as the course runs for three weeks mondat to friday i thought i will take my bike then the two weekends i have i will take the bike out sat and sundays. Anyone got ideas what way to head to somewhere pretty? Never been up there before. Would like to do 120-150 miles sat and sunday if possible both weekends so dont mind a bug loop. Any pointers welcome. Im presuming the westher round new castle is a bit different to mallorca so i will take a coat ;-)
Thanks

Comments

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    At that distance, off the top of my head, I would say head up into Northumberland towards Hexham or Rothbury. (You'd need to get a 15 minute ferry over the Tyne)
    I've only done around 20-25 miles, mainly down the coast towards Sunderland, then loop back round through less picturesque roads
    I'm guessing you'll be stopping around the Ocean Road area, if so, there's a good LBS in Roman Road (AS Cycles, they have a website ) who might be able to offer better advice. Also, Darke Cycles and Cycle World in Sunderland
    Also, have a look at Strava and Endomondo sites to see what rides people are doing
    Another idea, ask in the Tyne and Wear Commuting thread, plenty people spread all over the North East to give advice where to go
  • Check this out http://www.greatnorthbikeride.com I think you'll be around then.
  • The Pennines are also an excellent place for cycling. Look at Blanchland and Stanhope type area. Excellent climbs and excellent scenery. Think Puig Major climb but moorlands ;)

If you need more specific advice let me know as if I haven't cycled it I've probably driven it.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    There is decent circle to be made along the Tyne using the Tyne Tunnel at the Shields end and the bridges at Newcastle (or Scotswood/Newburn if you want to make it a bit longer) they would do for an hour or two in the evening.

Your'e also at the eastern end of the C2C and Hadrians Way routes and at the Southern end of the coast and castles route (which goes as far as Edinburgh) so you could make a mini tour one weekend. Some on here have been known to the C2C in a day!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Excellent advice thanks all. Loving the idea of c2c in a day but as im there for a training course could be a big ask. Will check out the bike shop, yeah staying in a b&b ocean road area somewhere.

Thanks all will have a look round the suggestions.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Oh, and if you like curry, you're in the right area too. Dozens of restaurants and take-aways on Ocean Road
    Tandoori International being my current favourite, or Colmans if you fancy fish and chips
  • Get in touch with Sunderland Clarion CC and tag along with them. On a Sunday a 100 mile ride is regular. Saturday is about 30-40 miles a lot slower and more social.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I live in North Shields, which is only a short ferry route accross. Have a look at my Strava as most of my rides start from North Shields, http://www.strava.com/athletes/1271301
    If your on Facebook have a look for the group 'North Tyneside Riders' always people on there organising rides, usually setting out from North Shields or Ponteland. If you want a climby day out have a look over Blanchland/Tynedale area, wonderful area for cycling.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    There is decent circle to be made along the Tyne using the Tyne Tunnel at the Shields end and the bridges at Newcastle (or Scotswood/Newburn if you want to make it a bit longer) they would do for an hour or two in the evening.

Not at the moment. The Tyne cycle tunnel is closed for refurbishment probably until next year.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    The area around weardale is fantastic, Stanhope and Consett etc.... I'm going up there in september for a bit and will be smashing some of the roling hills around there...
  • philbar72 wrote:
    The area around weardale is fantastic, Stanhope and Consett etc.... I'm going up there in september for a bit and will be smashing some of the roling hills around there...

29th September is the Hell of Hexham Wiggle sportive. Which starts at Hexham and goes over to Blanchland and Stanhope and the long route carries onto Middleton, then back via Allenheads.

Rolling - yeah, rolling ;)