which bike tomorrow?

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited August 2013 in Road general
Just checking the weather for a ride tomorrow and later on it looks like heavy rain. So would you set out on winter bike or ride the summer best bike and dry and lube after ? Decisions decisions !

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends what sort of ride it is ... if it's just a ride then probably the winter/wet one ... depends how big the performance difference is ..

if it's an event then the best one ... unless you're a really strong rider - then turn up on an old ride that looks like it's been around the world twice - then drop them all as you power up the road ... :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm riding my summer bike tomorrow as I'm going out early and should be done before the rain sets in. If its gonna be heavy rain I would want a bike with mudguards - its more about keeping me dry than worrying about the bike.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Do you have a decent winter bike which you enjoy riding? If you do I'd consider riding that.

I'm going for a ride this afternoon and then will turbo for a bit tomorrow so as to avoid the rain.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I dont think there is too much of a problem in taking the summer bike out every once in a while in the rain if you have the time to clean and relube properly afterwards.

the problem is in winter when there is salt on the roads or repeat rides in the wet without sufficient time (or the desire to if its freezing outside) to clean properly afterwards
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I dont think there is too much of a problem in taking the summer bike out every once in a while in the rain if you have the time to clean and relube properly afterwards.

the problem is in winter when there is salt on the roads or repeat rides in the wet without sufficient time (or the desire to if its freezing outside) to clean properly afterwards

Careful though, we all know carbon frames melt in the rain like the WWOTW.
  • Baby Trek
    Baby Trek Posts: 118
    Oh to have the choice of more than one bike.....!
  • allen wrote:
    Just checking the weather for a ride tomorrow and later on it looks like heavy rain. So would you set out on winter bike or ride the summer best bike and dry and lube after ? Decisions decisions !

I wait until Sunday when it's going to be sunny.
  • Good post
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Baby Trek wrote:
    Oh to have the choice of more than one bike.....!

Or a slight variant:

Oh to have more than one working bike!
  • My one and only (at this stage) and it looks like the forecast will be fine for the morning
  • I think whatever bike you use will be fine when water touches it.