Canyon HT advice for first MTB???

ScreaminWargasm
ScreaminWargasm Posts: 289
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I have been cycling road bikes for a few years now however, I am very tempted into buying a half decent HT MTB to use over the trails near me. I would be prepared to pay up to a grand for a bike and am in no major rush to buy one immediately.
After a bit of research I have come across the Canyon range and am aware that for the cost of them, it's hard to find another brand with equal spec which is the same with their road bikes.

A few of their 2014 models are now available to order and I kind of like this Grand Canyon AL 6.9 for £869
https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3208

I also really like the look of the 2013 Yellowstone AL 6.9 which was nearly £100 more, although this years has sold out:
https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3006

The 2014 Yellowstone is not yet advertised to order. As I said, I have only really used road bikes over the last few years and have know idea about whats good and whats not on MTB's.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these 2 bikes? Does one have better parts than the other or are they pretty much the same?
Which would you choose and why or should I be looking at other brands?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Mick

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not much to choose at all, will be very similar to ride, have the same forks (the single most important component), the Grand is just slightly better specced throughout. The Y'stone is twin front ring which saves a small amount of weight and for which you'll loose a tiny amount of top speed (only relevant flat out downhill) as you've effectively lost the very top two gears.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for your info guys. Would you say those Canyons are worth the money component wise. I currently own a Cannondale and a Scott road bike and just not 100% on the mail order purchase. If I knew I was getting the best bike by a decent margin compared to a LBS then I would be more inclined. We I get a much lower spec for similar cash if I bought from a shop?

I will take a look at the links provided though.

cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We I get a much lower spec for similar cash if I bought from a shop?
    Yes, apart from halfords and Decathlon which get close, the very best deals are all online, either from Pauls cycles (clearance models) or Rose/Canyon/bike-discount all from Germany.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Hi, Just wondering what you went for in the end? If it was the GC AL 6.9, how are you finding it?
    Cheers,
    Greg