Advice on a new hardtail mb

EricPilot
EricPilot Posts: 17
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, my first post here. I purchased a Giant Revel 2 last year, ok starter bike but need disc breaks and possibly a 29r. Any advice on a which ht mb i should consider would be appreciated.

Comments

• Welcome to the forum.
    You have left a million-and-one questions unanswred there.
    Have a quick read through the 'what bike' sticky at the top of this thread first.
    We also need to know your budget and where you ride (terrain - is it local woods, thick mud, trail centers, tarmac, mixture of both).

As for the 29er debate - it depends. Ulitmately it comes down to one thing; 'does the bike feels right when you ride it'? Don't get hung up on the wheel size.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29er will cost you more for the same spec, so unless your budget is in excess of circa £800 stick to 26er.

If the Revel is in good condition I'd be temepted to fit some decent disc wheels (merlin Equalisers) and disc brakes (shimano non-series or Deore) and forks, using new wheels and brakes and used forks you could do that for circa £180 and have your old stuff to sell (circa £70).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi, sorry forgot to put my budget, did first post on my mobile. £600 is my budget, the Revel2 i bought is a 2012 model. I live in South Wales and ride at Afan Park, normally do the Red and Black forest trails, to be fair the Revel does handle very well. The frame is good, should I upgrade the parts or buy a better bike?
  • The Rookie
    I'd be tempted to just upgrade the revel, it's worth about £150, so a £600 bike will see you out £450, whereas upgrading it will cost a lot less.

New though, Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon, no brainer at that budget really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Get a second hand 456. Sorted
  • Ok, upgrade does sound cheaper and stick with 26. My Revel is in perfect nick considering Its had a bashing. I'm bit out the loop on components, what wheels, shocks, discs should I get? Also can i keep the shifters i have? Was looking at Rockshox XC28 maybe, Mavic Crossride UB wheelset for £148 on Tredz (just down the road for me).
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    At £600 your just about in Boardman comp territory (depending on current offers) and for the riding you do I think that would be a great bike.
  • The Rookie
    Merlincycles for wheels
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... le-26.html
    or better for a little more money (and needs centrelock discs which are a little dearer
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... lizer.html - these are better than crossrides.

Brakes
    http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... r-set.html you may be able to find a little cheaper for deore, a bit cheaper for non series such as http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod87334 but you'd need to swap hoses and make sure the rear is long enough!

Forks, not an XC, Recon as a minimum, you can get a gold used on ebay for circa £80-90, or a silver for a bit less, I rate the older manitous (we have 2 in the family, both 2006/7 and both cost mid £50's).
  • Thanks for the info TheRookie. With the Rockshox Forks will i need a new headset? Also with the current shifters (Shimano V Brakes) it doesn't appear that I can I keep them if i get the Shimano Deore brakes, will I also need to get different shifters too? Sorry for the daft questions but still getting to grips with the different components etc. Much appreciated for the help.
  • The Rookie
    If you have integrated shifter/brake levers then yes, you will need new shifters.

No you won't need a new headset.
  • Ok, cheers. Dropped into Tredz today, they guy said I'd be better off buying a new bike, he was pushing the Specialzed Rockhopper 29r 2013 (£540) which does seem like a good bike but the frame seems heavy compared to my Giant. He said I can upgrade my current bike with the parts I want, but was still pushing the Specialized. He said it can be abit risky if I upgrade the parts myself (which I know I can do) as i'm doing Red trails etc, if i get the setup wrong with the new parts?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He's an idiot. It's a bicycle, and most people swap bits regularly without killing themselves on red runs, or any other runs.
    This is better if you want a 29er, and a few hundred cheaper.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-bi ... ctFeatures

This is much better for the same price buty not 29er.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... ctFeatures
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    I'd defo go for the upgrade. Nothing wrong with the Giant frame. It is important to know what you're doing when you're changing bits on the bike though, setting things up properly is important for safety.

If you are going to go for an upgrade look for the best frame you can get for your cash, if you're going to get more into this you'll more than likely be wanting to upgrade the new bike soon! The Rockriders look fine, and the spec is good for the money, but personally my money would be elsewhere as I think they are a little soul-less.
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • cooldad
    For soul you could just play a bit of Aretha Franklin while you ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    For soul you could just play a bit of Aretha Franklin while you ride.
    Haha, true!

Cheers for the feedback. Just been looking at the Rockriders, they do look good for the money, but there's no Decathlon stores in Wales. Think I will go the upgrade route, will cost me less, might have to ask for advice for setting up the Hydraulic brakes when the time comes though.
  • This is the list of parts I have. Let me know if I've missed anything.

Suntour XCR forks

Shimano Deore BR-M596 Disc Brake Lever and Post Mount Calliper (front)
    Shimano Deore BR-M596 Disc Brake Lever and Post Mount Calliper (rear)

Alivio SLM410 8-Speed Rapidfire Levers

Shimano SLX M665 RT64 Centre-Lock Disc Rotor 160mm
    Shimano SLX M665 RT64 Centre-Lock Disc Rotor 180mm

Shimano Adapter for Post Type Caliper Black 180mm

Mavic Crossride Disc Centre Lock MTB Wheel (Rear) size: 9x135
    Mavic Crossride Disc Centre Lock MTB Wheel (front) size: 9x100
  • The Rookie
    XCR forks aren't too bad, though much better can be had, but I'd sort the rest first.

Rest all look good to go!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    XCR forks aren't too bad, though much better can be had, but I'd sort the rest first.

Rest all look good to go!

Great, think I'll get these bits ordered this week.
  • The Rookie
    Crossrides wouldn't be my first choice though (they are heavier than the equalizer build I linked to)....somewhat over rated.
  • Just found some RockShox Rebas 2009 on ebay, are they any good? Bidding ends in about 2 hours.
  • cooldad
    edited August 2013
    These?
    (edited to stop nasty people gazumping)

Excellent forks if the condition is good and the steerer tube is long enough.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Yup, they the ones! Currently highest bidder at the mo, checked the steer tube, i've got 30mm spacers so have 10mm to spare.
  • Didn't win them, they went for £140 I think in the end. I got some new 2013 Suntour XCR LO 100 for £59 in the end. Still better than the old Suntours I have. Will need the steerer cut down abit, would you do yourself? Found some second Shimano MT55's with Rotors included.
  • cooldad
    Just use a hacksaw - doesn't have to be a perfect cut, just make sure it's still long enough, measure, relax, measure again, think, measure again, cut.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ok, cool. So the cut doesn't have to be perfectly square? I have 2 10mm and 2 5mm spacers. Measure twice cut once rule.
  • cooldad
    Nope because the top of the steerer doesn't touch anything.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Right