Help me decide on a new Bike!

VolatileMike
VolatileMike Posts: 78
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

To cut to the point. After riding a few friends bikes, I realised I bought the wrong size frame bike. I cant control it well and it just feels too big. So Im looking for a new one (and selling my old GT) I have narrowed it down to these so far:

Cube LTD race - (After reading review, is this ok for a relative newbie?)
Giant talon 0 or 1 (looking at 26")
EDIT: I meant scott scale 660 not 960 as thats a 29er.

Im trying to keep to bikes that will actually be in shops so I can sit on them to see how they feel.

Thoughts on these would be great! :D

Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Links to specs?

Budget?

Type of riding?

Could just reframe yours with the right size frame, what size is yours and how tall are you?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cube - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-LTD-Race-M ... _49463.htm
    giant - talon 0 is will be 2nd hand so no link - talon 1 = http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Talon-1-M ... _56319.htm

Scott - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Scale-660 ... _56863.htm

Other reccomendations welcome.

My absolute max is £1000 but would like to keep it under that.

Riding will be general off road. Firetracks, trails, general XC riding as well. If I ever get good enough black graded trails aswell lol.

Its not really worth reframing as its only a GT avalanche 3.0, its a Large frame and Im just about 6ft. Inside leg about 31-32.
  • The Rookie
    Most important part of the bike is the fork (costs most and has single biggest effect on the ride) Fork on the Cube is massively ahead of the XC on the Scott (only just about good enough) and the Recon silver on the Talon (better but heavy).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The cube is my favourite really. I quite like cube LTD pro also, its the same I think apart from the fork.

Any other bike's I should check out?
  • The Rookie
    Boardmans at Halfords, I think it's the Pro that is the top hardtail.
  • Boardman looks nice, any difference in the sram and shimano?
  • The Rookie
    That's a marmite argument, some prefer one, some the other, some are ambivelent, since SRAM fixed their silly jockey wheel design in 2009 there is little to choose between them, SRAM shifters work slightly different to Shimano (upper and lower thumb side rather than finger and thumb) and you can get twist shifters.

I'm firmly in the middle having SRAM on my commuter, Shimano on my MTB and having used a SRAM Rocket shifter with Shimano rear mech as well.....

Personally I marginally prefer the way the trigger SRAM shifters work, but it wouldn't choose the rest of the bike for me!
  • I have been offered a cube ltd race 2012 for about 650 2nd hand, looks in good condition. I also like the boardman now haha.

What do you think would be better?
  • Yeah so a couple of hours later I have just bought this. :D

pretty much immaculate! Now I have just got to get better at MTB'ing! 8)

20130816_1843561_zps68ae33de.jpg
  • The Rookie
    Nice, and an excellent price.
  • Cheers mate, and thanks for the help you gave in this thread.
  • The Rookie
    Pleasure, now get out and enjoy!