Aluminium/alloy seat post v carbon

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2013 in Road general
Just read a pretty favourable review of the FSA SL-K carbon seat post and I wondered about changing my alloy post to that (or similar) one.

Without going into the merits of the FSA model in too much detail, is this likely to make a huge difference? I'm riding a Spesh Secteur with everything made of alloy/alu and I like to do long distance rides.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It might save a few grammes, but it is unlikely to make any noticable difference to ride quality.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Standard spesh post (Allez) vs deda drittissimo was the difference between me chucking the bike and keeping it, the improvement to the ride was night and day.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    A good carbon seatpost will no doubt improve bum comfort over most stock alloy posts, although much will depend on how much vibration is transmitted through the rest of the frame before it actually reaches the seatpost. Can't comment on the Secteur, but a good seatpost atop a pants, juddery alu frame will be akin to an elastoplast on a hole in the head.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Spesh Cobl Gobl-R instead? Should kill more road buzz than the FSA post
  • rodgers73
    jacknorell wrote:
    Spesh Cobl Gobl-R instead? Should kill more road buzz than the FSA post

It looks fantastic. Shame about the cost though...
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    If you're not on 25c tyres yet, get some, it will make even a cheap alu frame much, much more comfortable. I moved to 25c GP4000S from various 23c and the difference was night and day. Alu frame, Thomson alu seatpost.
  • rodgers73
    Yep, already on 25mms. And you're right!