Front wheel "bends" left when braking

2»

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    And how tight is too tight? can I put some muscle into it and not worry about breaking anything?

All this flex in new to me, I notice nothing at all on my 888, but I guess a XC fork is a bit different than a double crown DH fork...

Probikeshop has XT hubs for 35€, but I don't think they come with skewers, will have a look around locally first.
    just seen this, oops.
    you won't have the same issue on an 888 because it uses a thru-axle.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have a Reba, same flex. Put the front wheel between your legs and try to turn the bars, you will see how much the lowers flex. Price you pay for lighter forks.
  • It's definitely the QR, tried a burlier QR, tightened it pretty tight, still does it, and now it "stays" "bent", if I undo the QR it straightens out again.

Pretty sure I'm ditching QR and going for a 10mm bolt axle.

The fork flex you're talking about isn't what is happening, the wheel isn't twisting, it's tilting.

EDIT: Really tightened it now, doesn't move on my quick sprint to full lock out test, I never really fully lockout the wheel on the trails anyway.

Testing it during a ride sometime this week, if it still moves It's definitely bolt axle time.
  • Chuck Norris could get another couple of turns on the QR
  • I always thought I wasn't supposed to tighten it too much, the rear QR isn't hardly as tight and it's tight enough, is it because the axle is longer?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I always thought I wasn't supposed to tighten it too much, the rear QR isn't hardly as tight and it's tight enough, is it because the axle is longer?
    The relation of the brake calliper's direction of force, to the angle of the dropout, is different on the rear, so this is almost never an issue at the rear.

You don't need a burlier QR skewer, you need a Shimano QR skewer.
  • They didn't have any at the shop, borrowed something else, no brand on it or anything.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    A shop that doesn't have a Shimano QR skewer is a very strange thing indeed, and may be rarer than a virgin in Rhyl. Are you sure it actually was a bike shop?

Nevertheless, if it's a skewer that has a mechanism resembling these in any way (where you can see the cam), then they're all pants...
    quick_release_10762S.jpg

The only ones worth using, and no, that's not an exaggeration, are Shimano ones. They have the cam hidden, like this...
    shimano-deore-xt-m775-quick-release-skewer-rear-135mm-silver-IMG22305.jpg
  • It's like the first kind.

They had some XT qrs but they came with a complete wheel.

Do the shimano ones tighten the wheel better with less force or something?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yes, the Shimano ones have a far greater closing force, for the same lever action.
    I don't see why they couldn't just pop the XT skewer in your bike to see if the problem went away.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Have a look on Ebay, there are usually some cheap Shimano skewers to be had for under £10.
  • I got a XTR one, hoping it solves the issue.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I had the exact same problem on my 29er with disk brakes. It was due to the QR not being tight enough. The tightness you use on a road bike or 26er with V Brakes is nowhere near enough. This is due to the different forces front disk brakes exert and for me having 29er wheels which are more flexible.

Mine is all fine now :wink: