Saddle height - Prostate on fire?!

arranj
arranj Posts: 66
edited August 2013 in Road beginners
Hey,

I was riding earlier and thought hmm, my knee is pretty darn bent when pedalling...is my saddle the right height?

So I increased saddle height by about half a cm...I am presuming that that half a cm is too high? or could it be that as it's a little higher it's at a different angle?

There was also no hip movement whilst riding...a little confused!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    If your prostate is a bit sore you may have the saddle pointed in the wrong direction, if you mean your perineum that's somewhat different.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Maybe you just need a saddle with a cut out. The leg at 90degrees - (top of pedal stroke) is quite weak and bending your knee under pressure at that angle is not actually very efficient and not very good for your knee(s).
    If you have been cycling a long time and your a bit long in the tooth, any changes must be made by small increments, so a 1cm raise is perhaps avoided. if you are young however it does not matter so much, try this:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/wilie ... AND.ID=522

Scroll down and click on Resources > 'fit calculator'. I have an 'French fit'. I would start with Eddy fit and then move to a French fit if I was you. Being comfortable on your bike is priceless.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arranj
    arranj Posts: 66
    It's not sore at all, just that numbing sensation, I'm guessing because it was higher there was more pressure on the area.

I guess I'll have to try and new saddle and see where we go, that's if I increase the height...obviously will be better for fit.

I'm relatively new to cycling and just seeing if I can adapt to get some more power, it just feels like I'm too low at the moment.

The adjustment was only 1/2 a cm, so nothing major...legs were fine just pressure on the undercarriage.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Quite a bit of info not far away...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I would recommend a prostate massage.
    If you use Google, you will find someone local who is qualified.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The thin end of the saddle should be pointing forward, not upwards.

But, to be serious, your saddle should support you on the 2 sit bones, not the squishy bits inbetween. Everyone has a different configuration of bits so what works for one rider may not work for you. Cutouts may help some people.
    A firm saddle is generally better than a squishy one for serious riding.
    Saddles should be level and in the correct position fore/aft as well as up/down.