Disc Brake Fade

billyripper
billyripper Posts: 8
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been searching for this topic because I am in need of advice, couldn't find it, therefore I'll just start it. I would like to gather knowledge about fading disc brakes.

What is the technical reason for brakes to fade? Is it just heat, generated by friction?

Is a larger rotor a solution? (because of the larger surface exposed to riding wind)
Is there a difference in fade if one uses organic pads rather than sintered?
Is there a difference in fade between mechanical and hydraulic systems?

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    True fade is loss of braking effect due to the pad/disc interface getting hot, the pad material friction charactersistics change with temperature, get it too hot and the coefficint of friction reduces.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 yes and no, partly.
    2 yes.
    3 yes and no.

learn how to ask questions.

more advise dont drag your brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks cobba, that's useful.
    Nick: I wanted to start a knowledge-thread, editing the first post in the end, but maybe that isn't really my role here. And english is not my own language, so how I ask questions is probably different from how you would ask questions. I should have probably asked "what is the difference" instead of "is there a difference".
    Oh, and I don't drag my brakes. I brake hard before turns and then let go of them. Information on fading disc brakes seemed to be so scattered when I used the search function, I wanted to gather the "universal truths" on it.
  • The Rookie
    In the respect of fade, bike brakes are very like car (auto) brakes, plenty of information on that on the WWW.

Are you getting fade or is this a hypothetical enquiry?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hypothetical, but I am a bit afraid I will be getting fade in a few weeks. I will be travelling through Alps, the Dolomites and the Balkan Alps, on a fully loaded cargobike. Trying to prepare and I thought to open a topic simply on fade so other people, might profit as well.
    Thanks for the car advice! I will look into that. Never crossed my mind as I am not a car driver. Don't even have my licence ;)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Not really he's on cable brakes!

DO NOT use sintered pads, either organic or better Kevlar, sintered have a very very steep tail off in performance as they overheat, the others are more progressive and will give you more warning.

The bigger and heavier the disc, the better, Shimano do their icetech with an alloy core for better heat transfer.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    Im not trying to thread steal here, more of just joining in the conversation because i would like to discuss disc brakes since i have been using my first disc brake bike for only about 2 weeks, and it has raised some question marks for me. I know almost nothing!

Does the material of the disc determine the type of pad you should use? Im using a stainless steel rotor with organic pads. Is this correct?
  • The Rookie
    Disc material isn't relevant, all discs are low grade stainless (so you'll get some surface rust) bar a few whacky ones.
  • gt-arrowhead
    In that case I think i may have got confused when i read on a page while looking at disc brakes "use resin pads ONLY". Thats what made me think that different discs need different pads.

One more question on brakes. lol. Does drilling pattern affect the braking? My disc has many large holes and i think that may be the reason for the noise and vibration.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Some Shimano rotors say organic pads only, but IMO any pads work with any rotors, they're all pretty much the same. In theory sintered might wear the rotors quicker, but they still last ages.
    Organic pads are fine with anything though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The drillings can create noise (more usually large slots rather than dillings), saw teeth are more likely to, also a warped disc can do it.....
  • bails87
    The Rookie wrote:
    Not really he's on cable brakes!
    I can't see that anywhere.

And the link answers the questions in the OP!
    MTB/CX

• The Rookie
    You need to see his other thread, he's on BB5's.
  • bails87
    The Rookie wrote:
    You need to see his other thread, he's on BB5's.
    Ah right.....well I'm not trawling threads to do background checks on posters and their bikes!

In any case, the thread was a general "give me some info" thing, and that's what the link does. The pad and rotor sections are equally relevant to mech and hydro brakes.
    MTB/CX

• gt-arrowhead
    The Rookie wrote:
    The drillings can create noise (more usually large slots rather than dillings), saw teeth are more likely to, also a warped disc can do it.....

Maybe i should invest in a more "solid" rotor? One with less holes and gaps, mine is quite poor! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BARADINE-Cycl ... 35c61fe79b
  • The Rookie
    What do you have now?
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, thought that was what you were proposing to get, that shouldn't create an issue, make sure the caliper is aligned properly though.
  • gt-arrowhead
    No worries. The brake is almost perfect now anyway, just a bit of vibration and squeal at the end.