cheapest Android phone that'll run Strava

Courage Monsieur
Courage Monsieur Posts: 534
edited August 2013 in The cake stop
Hi All

I've got to hand my iPhone 5 back when I leave this job and will get a blackberry in my next one. I'm considering buying an unlocked android phone and then getting a pay as you go sim for personal use.

The choice seems to be between big 4.5"+ and expensive Galaxy type phones or crap ones about £100.

What's the 'worst' phone people use for running Strava and relatively simple apps? Not interested in gaming or good graphics etc.

AFAIK Strava won't work on Windows so that's the Nokias out.

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    htc wildfire

you will get discount from your own network shop (the price included a £10 sim, valid o2 number then the knock it off the cost)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd be surprised if any recent Android phone was too feeble to run Strava. It works fine for example on my wife's old HTC Desire which is about 3 years old.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Yeah, it shouldn't be too difficult. I'd like it to run 'well' though.
    Wildfire looks interesting. Some good reviews but folk complain of internal memory.
    I may get one of the Huawei £100 to £150 ones. Should do the trick.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've got an old HTC Desire and the internal memory is too small to load some google app bollocks that's required for Strava to run. This has 512MB internal memory, only 148MB or so is free after the OS is installed and about 50MB free once mandatory apps are installed. I would question whether an HTC wildfire will operate Strava since it has the same size memory as mine, unless perhaps all other apps are stripped away.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    HTC desire C was effectively a wildfire S with the memory problem resolved. They could be had new for £70 about 7 or 8 months ago.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    IIRC Desire C has 1gb memory so that would fix the memory problem. I would suggest minimum 1gb Memory to run Strava, the 500Mb phones I don't think will cut it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • As a last resort you can use storts tracker on blackberry which pretends its an iphone, doesn't give you much strava functionality on your phone though...
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I use Strava on an HTC Wildfire which is my personal mobile. Even with the phone not having much memory it installed just fine. It can hang occassionally as the touch screen isn't that responsive but tracks Strava very well.
    One thing to note is that as the screen is quite small it doesn't give you any of your stats whilst riding (i.e. current speed) so it wouldn't be any good as a handlebar mounted device.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    You can use Endermondo on the Cheap Nokia smat phones N20 and then export the file to Stava. i did this for ages as my Ihone GP was absolute rubbish. it works well and only takes five minutes to export the file and upload to Strava. Failing that you can pick up some cheap Garmins in the classified listing here which would in my opinion be much better then a cheap phone. if for nothing else that they have proper brackets are waterproof and the batteries will last a whole days riding!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Have a wildfire but not tried it as have an edge 500. Not working on windows? Was going to recommend a Nokia 520 or 620 as they seem pretty good value ATM and was thinking of getting one...
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just tried with my wildfire. Can access my account but not a very good experience as the screen def is so poor and Internet access is so slow. Was attempting to download the android app but haven't been able to do it as yet. Will try again later
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Honestly no issues with the cheapo Android ones. When I first started using Strava I had a Blackberry and purchased one of the £90 inc delivery ones. Recording a 4+hr ride, still had 40% battery left at the end.

Just like an iPhone, close apps and preserve power just for Strava if that's the key use of it. Put a tesco mobile PAYG sim in and was able to use it in emergencies too :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    not just buy a garmin 200?
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Second Hand Motorola Defy. Cheap, reasonably powerful and a lot more damage-resistant than most.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I was going to mention that I currently run Strava on a Huawei Ascend G300, and that I previously used a ZTE Blade/Orange Sanfrancisco which had 512mb of RAM. A colleague has recently got a Huawei Y300 that also runs ut happily. All the above phones were purchased for less than £100 so there are a few out there that are relatively low cost and should work.
    However, the last post reminded me that my son has recently got a HTC phone to replace his Motorola Defy which he always used for Strava. As mentioned it's a mildy toughened phone with a degree of waterproofing so ideal for bike mounting. I have a feeling these aren't available anymore but obviously I know of one for sale !!!

If you are interested I only asked him last night to box it up so we could sell it. Would be looking for £20 plus postage as thats what they are worth to the companies that take them back for cash. Let me know.