Best Mech for a 1x10 setup

paul.skibum
paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Looking to go to a 1x10 setup - currently running 3x9 so need to upgrade everything down there.

Happy enough picking most components (RF narrow wide, xt shifter, xt cassette) but was wondering what views people had on the mech - I am looking at the XT 10speed shadow plus but was wondering about the 36t capable short cage Zee shadow plus maybe? Not worried for a tiny bit more weight if it gets the mech smaller and more out of the way (not that a smash mechs often).
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    My zee mech works really well with my 36t cassette, not as smoothas the XTR on t'other bike but considering I got mine for £35 I won't complain! Very tough, and not overly heavy, if you want functional 1x mech it's awesome and actually lighter than saint. Tempted to try and graft the cage onto the xtr and see how it goes tbh!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    SLX clutch or Zee.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    zee has been great for me. just makes sure you get the one that does up to 36T as there is a 28T max one as well.
  • paul.skibum
    Cheers fellas - yeah I saw the zee comes in two size flavours and will be on the 36t version for sure - may go cheaper with the slx clutch in a medium cage.
  • paul.skibum
    Actually if it says 35T capacity on the GS Cage version does that mean it wont work with a 11-36t cassette?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got two Zee Mechs on my 1x10 set ups. Nice shifting with both SLX and XT shifters, looks great, keeps the chain really tight and the cage length seems to mean less chance of getting hit by rocks, etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Actually if it says 35T capacity on the GS Cage version does that mean it wont work with a 11-36t cassette?
    No, capacity is big minus little, so 36-11 is capacity needed of at least 25, 35 covers that and would allow you to run twing rings (10t apart) up front as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    I see - thanks!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Get the Zee, it's only a few quid more than SLX and it's more out of the way - less chance of snagging it on something and it's potentially a little less noisy. Mine has been great (well, apart from when my mech hanger was slightly out and I shifted it into the spokes, I've never seen a mech explode like that before!). That was kind of my own fault though...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5