MTBer vs Walkers

2»

Comments

• j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    I regularly ride around baggy point which is officially a footpath with no bikes signed at both ends, however I only ride it early morning (before 7) or late evening (after 8) and have never had a problem from anyone including the NT warden, the only time I have ether had an issue was back in the Chilterns riding down in to Henley when I startled a man with headphones in, he hit me with his walking stick... :roll:

Which was nice..................

Don't give them a reason to complain, be polite and courteous and show respect regardless of where you ride be it Footpath or Bridle way, then every ones a winner. :idea:
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    To be fair, most MTBers are walkers, really. Especially with the proliferation of singletrack, MBR, singlespeeds, rigids, and 29ers.
  • If only it was just walkers! I was riding the Kitchener Trail at Sherwood Pines this weekend (don't laugh I am recovering from injury) and was met by five adults riding in the wrong direction with two loose dogs. They seemed grateful when I piled into a bush to avoid them.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Disappointed to find no deep fried potato snack grudge in this thread.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I've bumped into people walking dogs on the Marin trail a couple of times. First time I almost killed some bloke's dog on the last descent. The other time was last week, some dozy woman walking a dog down the first singletrack climb. That was annoying...

Same, Once there was some bloke walking with is young son up the final descent in the pitch black at about 9 at night!

At trail centres it's pretty dumb, but on any other trail they have every right to be there so can't complain...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I was tolerant earlier , less so today . Thank God for my crudcatcher . Managed dog crap all over my Sids and glued to front tyre. Rest of ride most unpleant . Think I will take to having a dump in popular dogging areas and teach them a lesson .
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Beanyman wrote:
    Once, a deer ran out in front of me whilst on a mtb trail. Frightened the life out of me.

I went home and immediately wrote a letter of complaint to the Forestry commission.

How dare they allow wildlife to cross an mtb trail ! do they not realise that an mtb trail is for mtb's only ? :twisted:

I'm still awaiting a reply from them. :P

Reminds me of the true story of a couple of townies who'd moved to the country campaigning to have the the deer crossing sign outside their cottage moved elsewhere because they where annoyed that the deer kept crossing near them and were worried about having a accident with one (as if the deer only crossed there because there was a sign telling them to, lol).
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Ouija wrote:
    Beanyman wrote:
    Once, a deer ran out in front of me whilst on a mtb trail. Frightened the life out of me.

I went home and immediately wrote a letter of complaint to the Forestry commission.

How dare they allow wildlife to cross an mtb trail ! do they not realise that an mtb trail is for mtb's only ? :twisted:

I'm still awaiting a reply from them. :P

Reminds me of the true story of a couple of townies who'd moved to the country campaigning to have the the deer crossing sign outside their cottage moved elsewhere because they where annoyed that the deer kept crossing near them and were worried about having a accident with one (as if the deer only crossed there because there was a sign telling them to, lol).

:lol:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I was tolerant earlier , less so today . Thank God for my crudcatcher . Managed dog crap all over my Sids and glued to front tyre. Rest of ride most unpleant . Think I will take to having a dump in popular dogging areas and teach them a lesson .

I'm sure there will be those into dogging that will quite enjoying seeing that :lol:
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I don't mind walkers. Walkers are enjoying what they do and I am enjoying what I am doing. Staying polite and applying common sense keeps things civil.

I did have a small altercation once though. I was riding along a wide track and I came across a man with two springer spaniels. The man moved over the side and I moved over to the other side, there must have been two meters or more between us, so plenty of space. I slowed down to a crawl to avoid the dogs that he had neglected to bring to heel. The dogs insisted on coming up to my bike and trying to sniff and investigate it while I was till rolling, the result ended up with me running over one of the dogs paws resulting in almighty yelp and one limping dog. The man then decided that I was at fault, I explained that maybe he should of kept his dogs under control and that I could of easily been a car or 4x4 and not a bike. He didn't seem to see reason so I just rode on my way. I didn't feel the need to appologise as it wasn't my fault.
  • Most annoying thing thats happened to me: drawing pins on the trail at penmachno last year. Got to be walkers as it was in the middle of nowhere.

In general I hate coming up on walkers from behind. Usually walkers spread out to take up the full width of the path no matter how wide it is or how many of them there are.

Its my belief that everything would work better if people stuck to the left hand side on shared trails, like with driving. It applies anywhere, shopping centres, footpaths, trails, whatever. If everyone stuck to the left everything would flow better.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Great idea - go out for a pleasant stroll and be herded into a lane.

Are you a meter maid in real life?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am not riding at the mo due to a double whammy of a torn cartiledge and a chest infection. Been out walking tonight to get some fresh air and nearly got flattened by a nob on a MTB. Dont forget guys to a lot of walkers we are a bunch of weirdos and can seem threatening. Give way to other users it takes secs to pull up and let someone pass, blasting past people on narrow trails makes enemies even if we are in the right.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'd have lamped you if I'd have seen you walking outside too. Keep it private, eh?
    Purrvert.
  • <snip>
    Its my belief that everything would work better if people stuck to the left hand side on shared trails, like with driving. It applies anywhere, shopping centres, footpaths, trails, whatever. If everyone stuck to the left everything would flow better.
    Thing is with walking, eg on a country lane with no pavement, the walker is supposed to be on the right. So everyone being on the left isnt always going to work. Although I dont ride country roads anyway so I've not experienced this, & anywhere else I always ride on the left. An idiot yesterday blamed me for him hitting a tree when he came flying around the bend in the opposite direction, I went left he went right, then he went even further right & hit a tree!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Ssscrudddy wrote:
    <snip>
    Thing is with walking, eg on a country lane with no pavement, the walker is supposed to be on the right. So everyone being on the left isnt always going to work. Although I dont ride country roads anyway so I've not experienced this, & anywhere else I always ride on the left.

I think you failed to understand what a country lane is, it's a road where vehicles can travel on but isn't a classified road like an A/B road (all those little white roads in your AA map) and walkers are deemed to be safer to walk on the right hand side to be able to face and see oncoming traffic, if they are on the left their backs are to the traffic and unless they stop and turn around to look they won't see someone about to mow them down in their death race car. In this instance it's no problem to cyclists as they'll be on the left hand side of the road as they should be.

The point he was making was on bridleways where cars etc don't travel if we all adopted the left hand side rule it should flow like any normal road, till you get a turd who can't drive/walk mess it up.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    almost hit an old guy and his white scotty dog today walking down the wrong way of an MTB only trail - effin moron
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools