Another what bike thread

Mr Jones 1977
Mr Jones 1977 Posts: 11
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
Good evening, I have been reading the forum for the last couple of weeks as I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I have read the £500 bikes section and I am looking at either the highly rated Kraken or this

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041501

What are your thoughts.
I have been out of cycling for a long while I did have a mongoose tyax sport and before that a ridgeback 601 lx (many of you probably too young to remember an early ridgeback)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ridge ... 3wq45JM%3A

I hope you can help many thanks

Comments

• Anyone! !!!
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I am also in the market and ready to buy a new bike,i have asked many questions on the forum and my conclusion is the Rockrider 8.1 is the one for me,i know it is 50 quid more but i suppose that is the price you have to pay to get the right bike.

I shall be going to get one very soon.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    Enough of my talking.I have just bought a new RR 8.1,just stuck it in the garage as it is now peeing down.

I must say that at home it really does look the business,a real beaut,although the seat might have to go and be replaced with my old trusty gel one that i currently use on my big heavy beast,which by the way will be off to the scrappy this weekend.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • punkatron1
    punkatron1 Posts: 134
    Good evening, I have been reading the forum for the last couple of weeks as I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I have read the £500 bikes section and I am looking at either the highly rated Kraken or this

What are your thoughts.
    I have been out of cycling for a long while I did have a mongoose tyax sport and before that a ridgeback 601 lx (many of you probably too young to remember an early ridgeback)

Dire fork on the Jamis. I'd go with the Kraken.
    Too many bikes, not all fully built.
  • punkatron1 wrote:

What are your thoughts.

Dire fork on the Jamis. I'd go with the Kraken.

Cheers punkatron how does everything else compare. Is the fork really that bad? I'm not going to be hitting the trails that hard.
  • punkatron1
    The Kraken is better specced and gets great reviews. I'd say on paper it wins hands down. No idea about the Jamis to be honest. I've never seen one out on the trails. I'd get down to Evans and have a look if you're still keen on it.
  • I just thought for the money it looked quite good. The 2012 model got good reviews and didnt have hydraulic brakes. I think it was a lesser fork also. You guys know more than I do hence the question so maybe I will leave it. The Kraken does get brilliant reviews.
    I also like the boardman comp for £650 but again it all comes down to money thats why the Jamis caught my eye.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are better forks on £300 bikes than on that Jamis, it is a shocker, it has no damping to control it, you wouldn't drive a car with the chock absorbers removed!

The Kraken, or for £550 the Rockrider 8.1, consider also the Voodoo Hoodoo.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • punkatron1
    I'd be tempted to look on eBay for one of the suggested bikes above. They tend to be bought and only ridden a couple of times then sold. Lots of Boardmans on eBay usually.
  • Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. I will give the Jamis a miss.
    Exactly why i put the post on to pick your brains.

The rock rider and Hoo Doo have all figured in my search going to look for some spare change behind the sofa to see what i can stretch to budget wise

Thanks again
  • Halfords will only let you sit on a boardman not ride it .Should you want to have a go on one I am just down the road in walton on Thames and would willingly help. As an owner I obviously rate them highly , mine is the top model but the geometry and fit and feel are similar accross the range.
  • Halfords will only let you sit on a boardman not ride it .Should you want to have a go on one I am just down the road in walton on Thames and would willingly help. As an owner I obviously rate them highly , mine is the top model but the geometry and fit and feel are similar accross the range.

Cheers buddy really appreciate that.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    There are better forks on £300 bikes than on that Jamis, it is a shocker, it has no damping to control it, you wouldn't drive a car with the chock absorbers removed!

The Kraken, or for £550 the Rockrider 8.1, consider also the Voodoo Hoodoo.

Hello rookie. It does have an external per load adjuster or is that not damping control?
  • The Rookie
    No, preload refers to the spring......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    No, preload refers to the spring......

So preload control is regulated on the lockout side of fork?
  • The Rookie
    Preload applies to a spring, you can't preload a damper!

Not familiar with the exact forksor where the adjusters are.