EzClean

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited August 2013 in Road general
200 miles ago I put a new chain on ... nothing new in this - every day occurrence ...

Having read quite a bit on here about it I went with a KMC chain & some KMC quick links thinking it'll make it easier to clean the chain properly rather than faffing about with a chain breaker ...

Wow ... easy or what?! Pop the manky chain off, grab an old Illy Coffee tin, put some old petrol in it and pop the chain on top, lid on and shake it about abit - to find that the lid doesn't seal properly and I've just sloshed petrol around the floor ... in the garage so that's ok! Fish the chain out, swizzle the quick links in the fuel, wipe down with a rag and refit the lot to the bike ... just need to add a bit of lubricant and I'm done! Do this every 200 miles should increase the life of it I hope!

I have one more bike to fit with quick links - then it's EzClean all the way! :D

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Reminds me, I need to clean mine!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    Paraffin is a better option, and a lot less dangerous.
  • A small tin with Gunk in it does the job for me. It's also great for cleaning bike bits.
    Mangeur
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    EZClean. don't you know using the pre-fix EZ in subject heading on BR is banned.

It gets everyone over excited that EZy rider's new graphics have finally pitched up..
  • slowbike
    bockers wrote:
    I had petrol in the can - it's old stuff that doesn't run properly so its nice to have something I can use it for :)
    Don't worry - I wiped up the spill with a cloth :)
  • slowbike
    tim wand wrote:
    EZClean. don't you know using the pre-fix EZ in subject heading on BR is banned.

It gets everyone over excited that EZy rider's new graphics have finally pitched up..
    Well petrol can be quite exciting if you light it ;)

Seriously boys and girls, don't try this at home - this stunt was carried out by trained professionals (not sure what in!)
  • bockers
    bockers Posts: 146
    Slowbike wrote:
    bockers wrote:
    I had petrol in the can - it's old stuff that doesn't run properly so its nice to have something I can use it for :)
    It's more that paraffin is better for the chain too, it leaves behind a lubricating residue.. Petrol strip everything and is not kind to your hands ;)
  • slowbike
    bockers wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    bockers wrote:
    It's more that paraffin is better for the chain too, it leaves behind a lubricating residue.. Petrol strip everything and is not kind to your hands ;)
    True ... but this isn't pure petrol ... it's got a 100:1 mix in ready for a 2-stroke engine.

If I wanted soft hands I would've used fairy liquid! :p

TBH, the post wasn't about the cleaner - just the easy method with the quick links and a cleaning liquid in a container - I read on here that someone uses an old drinks bottle - I had a tin ... Having spent time trying to clean with brushes etc etc this method was a "miracle" cure ... :)
  • goonz
    Does it also clean in between all the links properly? I find however much I clean mine the link connections always seem to remain dirty
  • slowbike
    it seemed too - I just dumped the chain into about 2" of petrol/oil mix (100:1) and shook it around a couple of times - spilling fuel out of the top of the non-sealing can ... !
    Fished the chain out (with pliers not my hands) and it just needed a wipe down to get a few odd bits off.
    I washed the quick links using pliers and just swished them around in the fuel a bit - wipe down and sorted.

Petrol is not the best to use - paraffin or diesel would be better - but I had petrol, so that's what I used!

I suppose what would be really helpful would be to lay the cleaned chain in some (heavier?) oil for a bit to allow that oil to penetrate the links better.

My first ever chain lasted for 1000 miles with sporadic chain cleaning - rag & cleaner - got the surface dirt off, but didn't really clean it. This one was caked in dirt after just 200 miles (it's off my TriCross so does get abused a bit) and removing the chain and washing in cleaner has it looking like new - I'll find out tomorrow if it runs like new! Must remember to put my Oil pen in the bag.... :)
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I too got this great tip from this forum - now got quicklinks on both my bike chains. I use on old Dolmio (other pasta sauces are available...) jar which does the job nicely. :)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • slowbike
    Schoie81 wrote:
    I use on old Dolmio (other pasta sauces are available...) jar which does the job nicely. :)
    Hah - not as posh as an Illy Coffee tin ... but probably works a bit better! ;)
  • goonz
    Slowbike wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:
    I use on old Dolmio (other pasta sauces are available...) jar which does the job nicely. :)

Damn noisy options! Think Ill stick to a plastic coke bottle....
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I do similarly, got quicklinks on all my chains but my method of cleaning is a little different and I like to think a little more effective:
    1. use white spirit with a Park Tool chain cleaner, makes sure all the grit it out
    2. take chain off, put in container with a lid and "rinse" in some citrus cleaner, gets all the white spirit and black residue out. I don't want white spirit contaminating the new lube
    3. rinse chain in cold water, gets it really clean, makes sure all the cleaner is off
    4. Place chain on bike and apply ProGold ProLink
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    goonz wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Schoie81 wrote:

Damn noisy options! Think Ill stick to a plastic coke bottle....
    If you go for the quiet option then the wife wonders why you're not doing jobs around the house ...
    At least with the noisy option she just wonders what the hell you're up to in there ... and the petrol smell helps enormously! ;)
  • slowbike
    drlodge wrote:
    I do similarly, got quicklinks on all my chains but my method of cleaning is a little different and I like to think a little more effective:
    1. use white spirit with a Park Tool chain cleaner, makes sure all the grit it out
    2. take chain off, put in container with a lid and "rinse" in some citrus cleaner, gets all the white spirit and black residue out. I don't want white spirit contaminating the new lube
    3. rinse chain in cold water, gets it really clean, makes sure all the cleaner is off

Ah - you see, over thinking ... the petrol removes water, cleans the chain and the oil in the petrol lubricates ... 3 in 1 ... perhaps I should market it ... ;)
  • drlodge
    Slowbike wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Ah - you see, over thinking ... the petrol removes water, cleans the chain and the oil in the petrol lubricates ... 3 in 1 ... perhaps I should market it ... ;)

Certainly a 2-stroke petrol/oil mix is a lot better than neat petrol. I used to use petrol as a teenager to clean my chain, then moved to diesel as its a little more oily - same principle I guess, and its a somewhat safer than petrol.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • goonz
    Does anyone dry fry the chain in a pan after to dry off all the residue after?
  • drlodge
    goonz wrote:

Last time I cleaned by Campag 11s chain with white spirit/citrus/water I did pop it in the oven to ensure all the water was out.

I my defence, the over was already warm, its a rented flat and I live on my own. I also wanted to lube it the same evening.
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    goonz wrote:

Just after I've removed the steak .... ;)
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    clean with diluted virosol. very cheap from local janitor/window supplier.
    dilute 10:1 for a deep chain clean. or 100:1 for general cleaning. then rince off with water.
    job done.
  • My approach - I paint the chain with Morgan Blue chain cleaner, using a stiff-bristled brush, pushing out the gunk between the links. To rinse, I go over the chain with a pressure washer, this leaving the chain sparking. I then lube the chain and jockey wheel bearings and leave overnight, cleaning off the excess the following morning. Once a week with the same method applied to cassette.