£1000 hardtail - need help

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a mtb, this will be my first mtb in a large number of years. I'm looking to ride at trail centres with a mix of xc in there (along with cycling to work).

It will be purchased through the halfords c2w scheme which means I can purchase from leisure lakes bikes also. I have a £1000 voucher.

I have been looking at the cube ltd pro 29er but they dont have my size (15" or small) and also the cannondale sl2 26er.
I have always wanted an Orange but the clockwork has a poor spec for the money.

What are your thoughts/advice or suggestions?

Comments

• chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    My money would go on a Boardman Pro.
  • Lee2288
    Lee2288 Posts: 3
    From halfords the boardman pro hands down
  • cubedean
    They don't have any in my size left. 2014 spec isn't out for a couple of months either. I can purchase through leisure lakes also.
  • cubedean
    Ignore this post
  • These are the deals I looked at a couple of weeks ago before buying the Genesis Mantle 30 29er (from UK Bike Depot for £893).

29ers
    Kona Kahuna Deluxe 29er (16" or 18") £719.99 at Chain reaction
    Forme Winscar AL29 (17" or 17.5") £999 at Flat Out cycles (also on ebay) and think it's dropped to £899

26ers
    Giant XTC Composite 3 (18") £929 at Paul's Cycles
    Genesis Core 26.5 2012 (17.5") £889 at UK Bike Depot
    Genesis iOiD Alfine 8 (17.5") £699 at Winstanleys

Winstaley also had an absolutely fab deal on a Genesis Latitutde Ti XT titanium 26er in 16" frame. Down from £3200 to £1599 with full XT groupset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Spec looks reasonable for the price, Fork is well below what you'd get on a £1000 bike though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cubedean
    I think i may just hold out for the 2014 boardmans.
  • zedzed
    zedzed Posts: 55
    cubedean wrote:
    I think i may just hold out for the 2014 boardmans.

In the past few years most specs have been reduced and the price held the same. I'd not hold out much hope for a "better" spec on the 2014 models.
  • cubedean
    I guess even if the spec stays the same. It will still be much better spec'd than most of the other 2014 bikes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • well i have the boardman pro and its been nothing but amazing

the spec of the bike is great for the money and it rides great. if you dont want to wait for the new 2014 models why dont you ring round and see if any of the stores have your size in, then have a day out and go get the bike or see if you can sweet talk your local halfords to do a store transfer
  • Shinoke
    Shinoke Posts: 19
    Anybody know when the 2014 model is out? Is it worth waiting do you think? Was about to get the 2012/2013 model. Looks like they're getting rid of them. Don't know if it's worth waiting for bank holiday in case Halfords do a sale then too?

Don't know if that's something they normally do.

As far as I can tell the 2011 model which got all the good reviews is the same spec as the current model:

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_pro.html
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... o-11-45094
  • cubedean
    2014 will be out in a month or so. Rumours of a 29er also. I'm holding out for the 2014 release before I make my decision.
  • Shinoke
    Oh, maybe I should wait then. Man, was going to get it this week or next. But does seem silly to get it now if a new model is out in a month. Having said that, I imagine it'll be the full 1k. I currently have the ht pro on £800 reserve, and it's £850 online reserve and collect. When the new one comes out, I guess the current model won't even be available on the site... in which case if the spec is the same, you'd have to get one of the ones left in a store. They might be reduced, but probably not more than the online price I imagine?

Don't know if anyone has seen what happens with prices - online/instore and availability when a new version comes out?
  • cubedean
    Imo if they have your size now, get it. No where in the uk has the size I need.
  • Shinoke
    What size you need? They had 18 and 19 inch available I think when I looked a while ago, went for 19.
    I'm 6 foot.
  • cubedean
    Im 5' 6" so ideally need a 16/17
  • Shinoke
    I thought they only do the boardmans in medium and large? That's all I've ever seen...
  • cubedean
    According to the boardman site they do a small aswell.