Giant XTC SE Disc breaks locked?

kingbroady
kingbroady Posts: 24
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Think it's around 5years old. Hardly used. Did use for commuting but been in the garage for a few years. Want to start using again but the front and read breaks have seized to the discs.

When I press the break levers there's no give, which feels like pressure that needs releasing (Breaks need bleeding??)

I'm a complete novice so any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm guessing at the god awful Giant MPH.

Start be removing the wheel, could just be the pad stuck to the disc so this may take some force!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks will check tomorrow. However, I'm more concerned at how I used the incorrect spelling of 'break' rather than 'brake'. I suspect that they are the Giant MPH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are MPH's then break is better brake - probably!

If they are MPH, start by winding the volume adjusters on the reservoirs all the way out, may require a tool.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Ditch them - they will always give you problems - old technology
  • Thanks. Turned the 'things' on the handlebars and the front is working. However, the rear is still not right. I've wound the rear one back and forth. Full turn forwards seems to give very slight clearance of the pads from the disc.

Any more thoughts, please?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Bleed them, fresh fluid.
  • How do I do that, please?
  • Anyone? There seems to be a lot of products out there to bleed them. Anyone with an idiot's guide to doing this, please?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    kingbroady wrote:
    Anyone? There seems to be a lot of products out there to bleed them. Anyone with an idiot's guide to doing this, please?

you'll get a guide with any kit for them