Ssuperstar wheel clearance sale

brucie45
brucie45 Posts: 279
edited August 2013 in MTB general
Just thought I would let you know, Superstar have a massive wheel clearance event. All the wheels are missbulids, ex-demo/display or cosmetically damaged.

I have just purchased Mavic xm719 on switch evo on sapim lazer light spokes for £140 (cosmetic damage). Not sure what cosmetic damage they have but I have 14 days to return if I am not happy with them. I thought it was worth the gamble given the price.

I was looking at Stanz Flows with Pro 2 evo and sapim lazer lights for £320.00 from my lbs, granted these may be better but I couldn't justify it given the price.

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=83

They are selling fast so be quick
Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938

Comments

• brucie45
    Change of plan, Superstar just emailed to say the wheels I purchased were sold before I placed the order. I have now got a confirmed order on Stanz Flow/ Switch orange hubs / Sapim black spokes for £160. I actually wanted orange hubs to match my bike and other upgrades.

The new wheels are a misbuild only so they will be mint condition hopefully. Pretty chuffed at half the price of Pro2's :D

They are selling other bits now as well as wheelsets.
  • Keeps saying to download a list, but i cant find it :S
  • Wow, they've just added some more too....

Tesla Black CX RAY Black, Gold nipples, XC carbon rims 26" - no logo Misbuild Pair 350 JUST ADDED
    OnOne UST Carbon 29" wheels Black Brass UST carbon Brand New in box RRP £999 Pair QR ONLY 350 JUST ADDED

Wish I'd not bought that new SLX groupset now, I'd be all over that!
  • brucie45
    Took delivery of my new wheels over the weekend, fitted them and had a test ride, can't belive the weight difference. Added a new xt cassette and running tubless. Just got to stop the brakes rubbing then its on to the drivetrain upgrades, 1x10 conversion.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    Can anyone vouch for the build quality of Superstar wheels?

The AMX wheel set are on my list as replacements when my current ones give up the ghost..

I'm not old I'm Retro
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Most stuff has gone, some epic bargains missed there!
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • brucie45
    J L wrote:
    Can anyone vouch for the build quality of Superstar wheels?

The AMX wheel set are on my list as replacements when my current ones give up the ghost..

I gave the wheels a once over on delivery, no marks, no damage, not even dusty (misbuild pair sat in warehouse). With my limited knowledge the build quality seems good. Both wheels true, spokes are all tight and hubs working as they should. Got my lbs to give once over while having new cassette fitted, all ok. Done 50miles so far and the only thing I had was the pads were catching on the rotors, thats not a problem with build quality though.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    thanks guys, I was asking in general about build quality as opposed to the offer wheels, but thanks all the same for the feed back I would say they are my best bet from a value for money point of view. :P
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Builds can vary. Mine have been great but I know people who haven't been as happy with theirs.
    The hub bearings are cheap rubbish but other than that they are great for the money.
  • I've had about 4 or 5 sets from them in total now over the last coupe of years.

Only bad experience I had was one front wheel which was not properly tensioned. They DO offer a free lifetime truing service, but seemed a little pointless for me as it was cheaper and easier for me to just sort it myself.

Certainly good value for money!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Mine de-tensioned completely after not a lot of distance. However, they are such good value I'd buy them again but just get the LBS to check them first.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've had a couple of wheel sets from them, 3 out of 4 wheels needed to be properly tensioned after short use. I could have returned them for Superstar to sort but given how bad they were to start with I didn't have much faith in them coming back much better so got my lbs to sort, other than that the wheels have been very good.