Rebuilt Switch EVO Hub

andyc-43
andyc-43 Posts: 44
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have recently changed the bearings in my Switch EVO hub, they failed after only 3 months of light use. Before i changed them, when freewheeling, there was a pronounced clicking. I repacked everything with plenty of grease and now its silent when freewheeling. Used the KaTech bearing please have mentioned in previous posts.

Have ridden a it a couple of times and nothing seems a miss. Im hoping its the grease thats quietened it done, as there wasnt much in there when i stripped it. Has anybody else had this happen.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like too much grease.

too much grease cab cause issues.

most free hubs only have a smear of grease and some light oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andyc-43
    Thanks for the info. Best pull it out and clean it up a bit then.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Did you change the bearings yourself? How? I really struggled when I tried changing them a few months back.
  • andyc-43
    Used a small punch to tap the old ones out, kept moving if all round the bearing so it comes out square. Used a socket that was slightly smaller than the o/d of the bearing but located on the outer face, square the bearing up to the bore and knock it in with the socket.

Got the pdf from superstar that shows an exploded view of the hub internals. only issue i had was overdoing the grease on the freehub, cleaned and sorted now though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I must admit to using 'lots' of grease as the SS freehubs aren't sealed and in damp cold weather can get frozen up, mine is a very thin LMP grease, the hub is much quieter (giving off a restrained 'zing') and I've had no engagement issues at all.

Changed my bearings using much the same technique as above, first bearing was drifted out with the axle as it has a shoulder at each and and can't come out with the bearings in place.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.