Groupset or seperate

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited August 2013 in MTB buying advice
I was wondering, for a full shimano set of SLX or XT ect is it cheaper to buy a groupset or search round all the sites picking up each parts as cheap as possible?

Buying seperatly would also offer greater customisation

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    The only way to find out would be to start searching for each component. You might bet lucky, you might not.

But I'd be surprised if you could beat the deals that Merlin currently have but may be possible one of the German sites...

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... psets-mtb/
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What Paul said.

What customisation do you want?
  • ej2320
    edited August 2013
    What Paul said.

What customisation do you want?

I could mix SLX and XT
    Choice of crank arm length
    Front mech mount type
    Shadow +
    Ect
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    You would specify the arm length and mount type on any group set (subject to availability).

The other thing I would call money saving rather than customisation ;)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • ej2320
    PaulBox wrote:
    You would specify the arm length and mount type on any group set (subject to availability).

The other thing I would call money saving rather than customisation ;)

A lot seem sold out and don't give the choice,
    When the 2014 season hits will the price of groupsets rise greatly? I know merlin is clearance so it probably would
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No. Groups don't go by season - M770 XT was out for 4 years without anything new apart from brakes. They don't go year on year like bikes.

THe latest gen SLX and XT will be around for a while longer.

Merlin is not clearence - they just get some grey market stuff from time to time and knock it out.

It'll prob work out best to buy a whole group and flog as new the bit you don't want.

Crnak lengths will be 175 and there is l;ittle reason to get anything different. Front mechs will work on both pull you just need to make sure it'll work top or bittom with your frame. Shadow plus or not, we've done alright upuntil now without, so you could sell if the group comes with a normal one and you do want a plus, but I just think there's more to go wrong with them.
  • ej2320
    No. Groups don't go by season - M770 XT was out for 4 years without anything new apart from brakes. They don't go year on year like bikes.

THe latest gen SLX and XT will be around for a while longer.

Merlin is not clearence - they just get some grey market stuff from time to time and knock it out.

It'll prob work out best to buy a whole group and flog as new the bit you don't want.

Crnak lengths will be 175 and there is l;ittle reason to get anything different. Front mechs will work on both pull you just need to make sure it'll work top or bittom with your frame. Shadow plus or not, we've done alright upuntil now without, so you could sell if the group comes with a normal one and you do want a plus, but I just think there's more to go wrong with them.

That's good to know, I know a new Deore is coming out for 2014 and a new chain but I think that's it

I wanted the shadow plus as I have a standard X9 mech and I can't use the 2nd chain ring or I WILL drop the chain
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you do mix and match, go for XT shifters - the rest can be SLX, apart from the chain, where I'd go SRAM or KMC.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would never buy a group set.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ej2320
    supersonic wrote:
    If you do mix and match, go for XT shifters - the rest can be SLX, apart from the chain, where I'd go SRAM or KMC.

I'd get the KMC gold chain for the hell of it

I've heard the XT shifters are slightly better
  • ej2320
    nicklouse wrote:
    I would never buy a group set.

Really? What's the reason for this?
  • nicklouse
    dont like shimano shifters. dont like non shimano cranks (or the ones that come with other group sets). hate shimano chains.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ej2320
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont like shimano shifters. dont like non shimano cranks (or the ones that come with other group sets). hate shimano chains.

What shifters do you like?
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I picked my full x9 set up alot cheaper by buying everything separate!! Saved me about 150/200quid. Thats with type 2 mech cassette and chain aswell!
  • ej2320
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    I picked my full x9 set up alot cheaper by buying everything separate!! Saved me about 150/200quid. Thats with type 2 mech cassette and chain aswell!

Did you use German sites?
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Nope. Chain reactions and ebay. Everything was brand new! :)

But It is a case of stumbling across good deals!
  • nicklouse
    ej2320 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

what does that matter for what YOU want?
  • ej2320
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Nope. Chain reactions and ebay. Everything was brand new! :)

But It is a case of stumbling across good deals!

Ahh the wonders of EBay, I will try an get the parts cheap or buy a 2nd hand groupset with not too many miles on it. Otherwise I could get a full SLX for about £250
  • ej2320
    nicklouse wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

what does that matter for what YOU want?

Curiosity more than anything else
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I found Merlin to be the best for my SLX crankset, I got the XT rear Mech and SLX shifters off here second hand as they were nearly new and SLX front mech and rotor from Rose Bikes in Germany, in total it cost me £135