Wet weather commuting

Cousin Nick
Cousin Nick Posts: 27
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
My commute is a combination of drive and cycle. My wife drives to her work (NHS), booting me out of the car en route with the Brompton folder. I then ride 6.5k to my work while she carries on her drive.

6.5k on the Brompton is not enough to work up a sweat, so I wear normal clothes for my job (polo shirt 'n troos).
The problem arises when its raining, because part of the my route is very exposed. I usually wear cycling jacket and overtrousers, but my feet get really wet, so I keep another pair of shoes at work. I'm seriously thinking of wearing some short wellies over the winter, to avoid the soggy feet misery.

What do others do when it gets really wet?

N

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    Have you tried overshoes?
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    Dr. Martens Chelsea Boot. Still waterproof after a year of wearing them.
  • Yes, I have overshoes for my road bike with SPD pedals, but they're a bit of a faff to get on and off easily.
    Speed is kind of key here: I drive the car to my drop-off, get out and on the bike while my wife makes her onward journey - basically I get out in a Sainsbury's carpark (disabled parking area is covered, so a good place to unfold the bike and get set up), so the quicker I get moving the better, hence the wellie idea.
  • aclivity wrote:
    Dr. Martens Chelsea Boot. Still waterproof after a year of wearing them.

Yeah, not thought of them - long enough not to get the runoff from the overtrousers and could drive in them too.
    Thanks
    N
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Yes, I have overshoes for my road bike with SPD pedals, but they're a bit of a faff to get on and off easily.
    Speed is kind of key here: I drive the car to my drop-off, get out and on the bike while my wife makes her onward journey - basically I get out in a Sainsbury's carpark (disabled parking area is covered, so a good place to unfold the bike and get set up), so the quicker I get moving the better, hence the wellie idea.
    Overshoes every time ...

Get some slightly larger ones that are easier to get on .. ?

Whatever you wear you need your overtrousers to come down over the top of the footwear so the water runs off and not in ...
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    So, wear shoes which are not waterproof and an overshoe which is waterproof.
    OR
    wear waterproof shoes/lightweight boots.

Personally, I would opt for some lightweight waterproof boots, high enough to drape your rainpants over to ensure runoff.
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll give both options a trial, since I already own some overshoes, and I think I still have pair of DMs at home somewhere.
    Today was my first really wet morning on this new commute and I figure it will only get worse through the winter, so I need to get things sorted out sooner rather than later so that I'm ready for week after week of rain :roll:

N