Pins and needles - Guyon's Canal Syndrome

steviecfb
steviecfb Posts: 31
edited August 2013 in Commuting general
After a couple of weeks on holiday cycling most days I find I have pins and needles in my little and - to a lesser extent - ring finger right hand. Something similar but much less in the left hand.

I have self-diagnosed it as Guyon's Canal Syndrome :) but will go to the doctor if it doesn't improve.

I ride a hybrid with straight handlebars, but I am negotiating for a cyclocross ;)

Has anyone any ideas for lessening the symptoms? I've bought some more heavily-padded mitts, but would having drop handlebars help? (I'm thinking the poss of moving my hand position round might help.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Yes drops would help, mainly because you will move your hands about more. Try changing your hand position as often as you can now. The mitts will also help, as would doing the plank*: you shouldn't be putting much weight through your arms in "normal" riding.

*: The woman in the photo is doing it terribly.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I bought these last month and helped alot with my hands.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003 ... UTF8&psc=1

Outland Solo Bike / Cycle 24 Grip and Handle Bar End Combo Uni Black
    by Outland
    4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (17 customer reviews)
    RRP: £28.99
    Price: £19.99
    You Save: £9.00 (31%)
    In stock.
    Dispatched from and sold by Tredz.
    Grip and bar end combination
    Ergonomically designed for rider comfort
    Easy to fit
    Lock on grips
    Nice design to fit your hand in a natural posistion giving maximum comfort.
  • Thanks. I used to do planks and stuff - including half press-ups, against a banister rail, which meant I was actually gripping the thing rater than resting my weight on my wrists - I'll go back to that.

Also, those grips - ordered!

Thanks again.
  • Had the same problem. Now use Specialized BG mitts with another pair of gel mitts over them and some ergo bars on my commuter bike. On my touring bike I use the same mitt combo plus a double layer of sorbothane bar tape.

Can't say it's a total solution and probably posture/core strength is the way to go.