1 x 10 Advice

johnnygooner
johnnygooner Posts: 43
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

Apologies if this has been asked before but I'm converting to a 1 x 10 set up. If I install a clutch mech, can I them do away with a chain guide?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've not dropped the chain once with an e thirteen G ring and a clutch mech on my HT, so it can work with no guide.
  • I think Works components mentioned their chainring + clutch mech = no chain droppage - no sure if they endorse it to do that though.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I think Works components mentioned their chainring + clutch mech = no chain droppage - no sure if they endorse it to do that though.

It does work. Been using one since they were first released and not dropped the chain yet. I spent weeks riding around with the guide in my pack, expecting it not to work, but it's never missed a beat.

There are always a few who seem to have got lucky with not running a guide, but it never worked for me or anyone I ride with, and there are so many "1x10 chain slipping, why!?!" threads that I have to believe that they are just that: lucky.
  • Thanks for your input so far fellas.

The more I look into this the more it seems correct set up ie, chain length, rear mech etc seems to be the key. I'm opting for a clutch mech and the Raceface narrow wide chain ring.

Anyone got any advice re the above?

Thanks in advance
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That and make sure the chain is the right (smallest) size.....also a short cage mech does work better than a long as it ruduces the chain angle from the bottom of the chainwheel to the lower jockey when in the lower gears.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.