So uncomfortable!

yorkshirecath
yorkshirecath Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in Women's cycling forum
Ok, so i am a total novice but have just bought a road bike, predominantly for fitness.
I've only ever had a mountain bike before so this is very different.
As i didn't want anything really fancy i looked at reviews for sub £500 bikes and liked the look of the Halfords Carrera Virtuoso, 51cm frame(i am 5ft 8 ). I did obviously try it out in the shop and it felt comfortable enough although the staff were pretty useless and it was my husband(who is a triathlete) who helped me find the right frame size.

So, i've adjusted the seat where it feels right and the handlebar rotation.
What i am finding though is that it just doesn't feel right where i am sat. I know getting used to a road bike is going to take time but for a women is it normal to be actually sat on your groin?(sorry!) I don't feel like my bottom is on the seat at all and so therefore all the pressure is on my groin area.
Could this just be because the saddle is too small and i need a bigger(and maybe padded) one?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Welcome,

we wont hold it against you that your husband is a Triantelope.

Get a female specific saddle, this will help massively, The Virtuoso is a male bike, so will have a male saddle, and as our make up differs from yours, our saddles tend to be different. Have a look at here and you will see that the women's saddles are slightly wider.

Its also a case of letting your arse get used to the saddle
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Traintelope haha, i shall call him that from now on!

The Carrera is branded as a Unisex bike but i agree it is probably a male saddle, it's like sitting on a razor blade!

Thanks for the recommendations, will have a look at what they have.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Also,

Have a look over in the saddle swap shop in the classifieds section of the forum, lots of people looking for lots of different things, You'll find a saddle that you love and it will be with you for life...

good luck and dont let the saddle stop you
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Yea and it is stopping me right now. Because it's so uncomfortable it really makes me not want to get on the bike and i so want to get out and go miles! Thanks for your help!
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Being used to the more upright position of a MTB means your hips will be pivoting down as you are reaching forward to the lower position of the road bike. It takes a bit of getting used to keep your hips squarer and sit on your sit bones and 'lady gooch' rather than rocking any further forward. You will use your lower back more to gain the reach as your core muscles develop and get used to the lower position. In the meantime you could try moving the saddle forward, raising the handlebars or a shorter stem to reduce your reach and stop your hips pivoting too far down on the saddle.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Rule #42 clearly states that: "A BIKE RACE SHALL NEVER BE PRECEDED WITH A SWIM AND/OR FOLLOWED BY A RUN. End of".

Hope you get comfy soon. There are some useful threads on here about choosing a good saddle and some bike shops let you try before you buy so check that out.
  • I recommend a 'Bike Fit'. Your local bike shop should be able to do one for you. You should be able to sit on your bike on a turbo trainer, and cycle, whilst the bike fitter checks your posture, and measures your leg bend to make sure that you are sitting at the correct height and seat position. He/she can then make the necessary adjustments to your bike height, seat height, etc to make your ride smoother and more comfortable.
  • They're quite expensive though aren't they? Heard someone say they were about £150? :shock:
  • They're quite expensive though aren't they? Heard someone say they were about £150? :shock:

But you are uncomfortable on your bike - yes? 150quid to mean that you are no longer uncomfortable.... I'd pay it. In fact, I did and have a lovely comfy ride now. And if its uncomfortable for you now, just think of the damage it may be doing to your back / hips / legs which may cause even more discomfort and pain in the future. Worth it in my view.
  • shortcuts
    shortcuts Posts: 366
    They're quite expensive though aren't they? Heard someone say they were about £150? :shock:
    I had a 'Comfort fit' done at my LBS (Stows). Charged me £45 for the fit plus the cost of a shorter stem.
    Not a full custom bike fit but just what I needed and made a massive difference to my comfort. Perhaps something similar is all you need as opposed to £150+ for a full bike fit.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    you don't need a bike fit, get a women specific saddle and tilt the nose down very slightly so the pressure is on your sit bones and not your (ahem) lady parts.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I've just switched to a Selle Italia Diva Flow saddle with a cutout to take the pressure off the sensitive areas! Can't recommend it enough, although there are other options available.
  • Could always try some padded shorts they're funny as hell but they give they provide some extra cushioning haha
  • daltonbourne07jrS36RCG
    edited July 2021
    The root causes why are bike seats so uncomfortable: It is caused by a lot of factors like clothing ,...First, if our bike is too large or too small for us, it can greatly affect our seating position, having improper handlebar position also can cause soreness from your bike seat. The right sportswear comes with numerous benefits, and this includes comfort for your sit bones...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416

The root causes why are bike seats so uncomfortable: It is caused by a lot of factors like clothing ,...First, if our bike is too large or too small for us, it can greatly affect our seating position, having improper handlebar position also can cause soreness from your bike seat. The right sportswear comes with numerous benefits, and this includes comfort for your sit bones...

I’m surprised you haven’t suggested putting it on a socket and hitting it with a hammer ;)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    This is muncher trawling thro ancient threads, isn’t it?