Headset service options...

plankmeister
plankmeister Posts: 2
edited August 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm trying to repair a fully suspended Renault MTB I was given. I've got as far as the front forks, and have hit a problem. Well, more of a lack of knowledge than a problem. The front forks are (I think) some cheap Suntour ones, that aren't serviceable. It's a sealed unit, and there's no oil left in it, so I found a cheap used Rock Shox replacement. When I took the existing forks out, the bearings in the headset crumbled out. I thought it would be trivial to replace some bearings. However, in the 20+ years that have passed since I last was into MTB maintenance, a lot has changed, and I've found out about the wonderful world of S.H.I.S. However, it's all a bit too much, and I had to have a little lie down.

I was hoping that someone might be able to look at a couple of photos I've taken, and identify whether or not it will match this headset fitting I found: http://www.bike24.com/p23376.html

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg

As far as I can work out, I'll need to extract the bearing cups from the frame and press-fit the new ones into place. Also, remove the little integrated crown race on the new forks. Or have I misunderstood?

The inside measurement of the bearing cup is ~41mm, and the steerer shaft on the forks is 29mm.

Hoping for some good advice!

Kind regards,

Andrew Plank

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    correct it is all trashed.

see the how tos on parktools.

it is a semi integrated/internal/Zerostack headset
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown